Please sign in to post.

Peugeot 2008 on Scottish Roads

Hello,
Planning first ever trip to England and Scotland in June. Finally narrowed the schedule with the Hubbs to something that can actually be done and part of that is driving around Scotland. We love to see natural sites on a journey and this should not be different. I'm struggling with finding a vehicle that fits in, but many of the names I never heard of before. Does anyone have experience with the Peugeot 2008? Is it small enough for the narrow roads? Would you drive something else?

Thank you for your time!

Posted by
32742 posts

It is French.

Not a Citroen, but it is French.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you. I saw a Citroen available as well. Would that one be more appropriate?

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you, Badger. I have watched videos of everything there, but experience is often worth more than what I can read and watch. I appreciate your feedback! Glad to hear it will work. I had a Golf once, but was hoping to drive something I haven't driven before.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you, the Other Bob!! I appreciate your experience here. It's sounds like it will do just fine. I'm prepare to pull over and be the polite and safe visitor for sure. Oh! A Hubbs is the Husband. I would think the roads should not be narrower than a city street in France. That's just my thoughts from reading and watching though. I hope one day to say I have driven many time in France, Ireland, and Scotland. Have a great day!

Posted by
32742 posts

If you want to drive something different, a French car might do well for you. The sizes are about normal, but French cars, particularly Citroen, have a reputation for doing things in the driver seat part of the car that is different to what most other cars do.

Just be sure that before you drive off you understand how to do all the things that your car can do, and where the switches are and how they work.

Recently, sadly, the French cars have become much more European - but just said above - be sure you know how to do everything.

Posted by
6788 posts

You are probably over-thinking this, and missing a key point: when you rent a car, you are not going to end up with the specific car model that you see in the picture. You rent a car by it's "class" which is a bucket into which the agency lumps a bunch of generally similarly-sized/similarly-featured cars. So unless you're dealing with a very specialized agency, you are wasting your time focusing on the finer details of any vehicle, because you ain't getting one of those. You'll get a vehicle that is kinda sorta close to what's pictured, but some details may be different.

Second, you need to be aware that many roads in the UK are surprisingly narrow - narrower than you are probably expecting. I'm not familiar with a Peugeot 2008, but looking over photos online, that looks to me like a car that's way bigger than I would want to drive around the UK. If it's just the two of you, that's twice as much car as you probably need. I'd look for something significantly smaller.

Posted by
23 posts

We drove the whole GB island counter-clockwise for ten weeks (c. 3500 km) in 2017. We leased a Citroen Picasso, but it would have been nice to have driven a slightly smaller car. Any freeways are top notch, just like home, but white-knuckling on country roads or undivided highways is a given for us U.S. drivers. Locals drive crazy fast. As I recall Scotland's roads may not have been as narrow and scary as those in England, but still, many are super narrow and the speed limit, taken full advantage of by the natives, is 60 MPH. Watch out for those hedgerows, there tends to be solid stone walls beneath all that lovely greenery.

If it's just two of you, go small, don't let the driver behind you intimate you, and bring your portable GPS. Cheers.

Posted by
5261 posts

As David has pointed out, unless your rental agency has explicitly stated that you'll receive that specific car, sometimes Hertz and Avis do this, then it's likely that you'll receive a vehicle in the same class. With few exceptions I generally receive a car that isn't the specific one that I booked. Sometimes the car is better, sometimes it's not. If you don't like the one they give you ask if there is an alternative.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you everyone! Very helpful advice. David, you made me chuckle. It's true! I was getting caught up in the vehicle, when it's really that or something similar. I rent all the time...why did I get stuck here? Likely because I am both excited and nervous I will make a rookie mistake with the car hire and everything we are planning. We did decided to go a bit smaller and hire the Hyundai i20 (or something similar).

Have a great day! :-)

Posted by
6788 posts

Yep, it's a real phenomenon: pluck us from our usual, familiar surroundings, and drop us in a foreign land, and suddenly much of our learned experience, common sense, and ability to just know how the world works suddenly vanishes, since we're nervous, excited, just slightly disoriented, and we quickly become surprisingly vulnerable to scams, confusion, and simple misunderstandings that we would see right through if we were at home. Something about how we're wired I suppose.

Perhaps for the same reason, the first few minutes behind the wheel in a foreign country are extremely dangerous IME, even if you have oodles of experience driving overseas on previous trips. For me, every time I get in the drivers seat on a trip I need to talk myself through the first few minutes and be extremely cautious, thoughtful and deliberate with the driving tasks (and I've driven quite a bit around the world). There's some a kind of mental reset required, then after about 15 minutes, it's all familiar again and my internal mental "automatic" tasks become familiar again.

Have fun driving through Scotland. It's beautiful!