Please sign in to post.

Paying tolls in France

I'm not finding current information regarding French tollroads and payment. We used a credit card in the past but I am concerned about needing a chip and pin card. Do they still accept cash as an option? Any recent experience would be helpful.

Posted by
2540 posts

Hi Karen,

We were in southern France last summer. We were unable to use our chip and pin card (Andrews) or any other type of credit card at any tollbooth except for one. We ended up using cash. We also were not able to use the chip and pin card at parking garages. We had to use cash there as well. The chip and pin did work at gas stations on a Sunday when the stations are unmanned. I hope this helps.

Posted by
2916 posts

I think I was successful once a few years ago using an Andrews FCU chip card at a toll booth, but after several failures in a row I just stopped trying and used cash. You just have to pay attention to the signs regarding which lanes accept cash.

Posted by
23574 posts

We were there earlier this year and every toll booth had a cash lane. Cash is still easiest way to go.

Posted by
334 posts

Thank you - also for the link to another thread. I was afraid that maybe they weren't using cash anymore. (Headed to Scandinavia and apparently Sweden is almost totally cashless.) I'm fine to use euros cash - good to know that cash lanes are available. Thanks