Please sign in to post.

Parking in Milan

Will be leaving from Milano Centrale...any advice on parking?
My research has found there are several lots nearby as well as at the station which is quite expensive...

Thank you

Posted by
20987 posts

Parking?? Where did that come from? I assume it is a rental car. Don't you have to turn that in somewhere?

Edit - Why don't you give us a quick rundown of where you stand on this trip as of right now. Where you're going and how you're getting there. Last I heard, you where in Fuessen for 9 days.

Posted by
33572 posts

Like Sam, that's out of left field.

Driving will be hard enough, do you want to drive on cobblestones avoiding trams?

You can park at the fairground and subway in.

What's with the car?

Posted by
1651 posts

"Parking" and "Milan" do not belong to the same sentence.
The municipality is transforming even the most peripheral areas into paid parkings.

Posted by
16 posts

Yes. I have been given a rental in Fuessen for 9 days.

However. I am not planning on staying in Fuessen for 9 days, nor the area. I intend to take our rental car and see other places, spending nights mostly in Fuessen.

One of those places will be Italy though. We are driving to Milano Centrale and catching a train to Venice, then to Florence for some of those days.

I was not asking about driving around Milan and parking at various spots to see the city. I completely understand the logistics of that. I was only asking about parking lots, specifically about the one at the train station while we are sightseeing around Italy by train for a few days. It is quite expensive and was just wondering about the other lots nearby. We are traveling very light, only with backpacks..so no pulling luggage around.

I suppose all the lots are comparable in price, it's just whether you want to walk a distance or not. I answered my own question it seems.
Thank you.

Posted by
4061 posts

Are these forays into Italy overnight trips within your 9 nights in Füssen or overnight trips after your Füssen stay? I'm asking because these Italy destinations are too far to go (~4h) one way driving time from Füssen for day trips.

If you are driving to Italy after your stay in Germany why not return the car (rental?) and take the train from Munich to Italy. A better Italian target city to start with might be Verona which is on a nice train line to the points in Italy you want to connect.

Posted by
8889 posts

So you are driving From Füssen to central Milan, which will take 6hrs+ ( https://www.viamichelin.com/ ). In order to catch a train in the opposite direction to Venice? And, not only will you be driving into the most conjested city in northern Italy, you will be paying for parking your car during this time in the middle of this city in probably the most expensive parking in northern Italy.
WHY?
If you want a Park-and-Ride station for Venice, there are hundreds of better candidates (anywhere would be better).

Why not just get a train Füssen to Venice, and trains from there to Florence and back to Füssen. Milan is in the wrong direction.
If you really want to drive though the Alps, then park the car in Venice, and avoid the dog-leg west to Milan and back again.
Big European cities do not have "parking lots" (open air parking), land is too expensive. Parking is underground or multi-storey car parks, and has to pay the same cost as shop or office space.

Posted by
20987 posts

Yes. I have been given a rental in Fuessen for 9 days.

If you have been "given" it, then it is expendable. After spending the number of days you want in the area, turn the car in and proceed by train to Venice, then Florence, then return to Munich for your flights home. Suggest 2 nights each in Venice and Florence.

I know you said you did not like packing up and moving around, but if you and your friends want to see Italy, that is what you are going to have to do. Pack light. Since you have a place in Fuessen, leave some of your stuff there. Pick it up when you return.