Please sign in to post.

Paris to Sarlat

Hello there!

I just bought your book! Also independently found this site while searching to know more about our planned trip from Paris to Sarlat. I saw that you also had a similar post (well almost similar topic) in 2008, but my questions are slightly different so I'm hoping you can answer them.

We're traveling for the first time to Paris, along with our 1 y/o toddler. We plan to stay in Paris for a few days (this is where you book comes in!!!) and then heading to Sarlat for a week. I've decided that the best way for us to get to Sarlat is to take the train and then a rental (as we'd like to have access to a car while in Sarlat). Could you help us finalize some of the details by answering these questions?
1. What is the best place to purchase tickets? I've tried raileurope.com but have heard that it's a bit more expensive.
2. Is it best to travel to Bourdeaux or Limoges and then to Sarlat?
3. Can we pick up a rental at the train station?
4. Do we have to purchase a separate ticket for our son?
5. What's the best way to get to the train station in Paris?

Many many thanks and I hope to hear from you!

Tram Kim Lam
Baltimore, MD

Posted by
689 posts

I've taken the TGV to Libourne--one stop before Bordeaux--then picked up a rental car at the Hertz counter (which I reserved in advance)there for travel to Dordogne. It's quite fast and easy. I get train tickets at the SNCF (French train) site--it's not too difficult to navigate, though it's helpful to know rudimentary French. There are many train stations in Paris--you have to get your ticket or look at a rail site to see which you are leaving from, then you can take a cab or the metro from your hotel to the station.

Posted by
4132 posts

Tram, the first thing you should know is that your remarks are not really addressed to Rick Steves personally on this forum. We are just fellow travelers.

The German rail site is probably the best resource for European train schedules, even though you can't buy your tickets there.

There are several rail routes into the region. Depending on your logistical requirements, you might consider picking up your car in Angouleme (2:15), Brive (4:00), or Sarlat (5:30).

It's a wonderful part of France, well worth the effort to get there. Have a fabulous time!

Posted by
705 posts

Since you've decided the best way to get to Sarlat from Paris is to take the train, I guess I'm answering a question you didn't ask. In order to make some specific stops along the way to Sarlat, we picked up a car in the southern part of Paris (easier to get out of town) and visited the cathedral in Chartres and chateau in Amboise before staying night in Amboise. Then the next day another chateau in the region before heading to Sarlat. True, you'd have one less day in Sarlat, but you've added some wonderful sights along the way. Just an idea! Happy travels.

Posted by
2 posts

Adam, thanks for the clarification :). My first time using the site. Regardless of who's answering my post, I just want to say thanks! You guys are very kind.

It appears that navigating throughout France would be easy eh? Do we need a GPS? Those who had rented a car, could you recommend which car rental you used? I've checked out europebycar.com and autoeurope.com. The former seems a bit better than the latter.

Also, any of you traveled with a child before? I'm wondering if I should bring along our carseat and base (I hope I don't have to as they're heavy as heck).

Thanks!

Tram

Posted by
9110 posts

Tram,

Get the car. It's the very best way to go.

Regarding car seats. I'm past kids, but have grand children. I rent cars in europe several times a year. It looks to me like the attachement system there would not work with the seat I have here. I'd figure on renting one with the car. I think all rental outfits have them as an option.