Please sign in to post.

Paris to Lucerne by train

I am joining the RS Switzerland tour in September. I am taking the train from Paris. All 3 search engines route me through Basel, rather than Zurich. Is that because it is slightly faster, not taking into account transfer times, to go Paris-Basel-Lucerne?
Also, should I buy one ticket? What if I miss my connection? Can I just get on the next train to Lucerne?
Thanks.

Posted by
6883 posts

Yes, it is quite a bit faster to change trains in Basel. You would also need to transfer if you went through Zürich anyway.
And yes, buying just one ticket is the most convenient way to go; the ticket won't be specific to a given train for the Swiss segment.

Posted by
32709 posts

much easier and faster via Basel. If you have time between trains there is also plenty of food both in the station and on the bridge connecting the platforms. Also out the main entrance and just beyond the tram stops.

Basel SBB is a through station, the main level of Zürich Hb is a dead end station.

You ticket has you tied to a specific train in France, not in Switzerland. So don't worry.

Posted by
16190 posts

Take a look at the rail map for Switzerland. You will see that trains coming from Paris enter Switzerland at Basel.

https://cdn-doc.myswissalps.com/docs/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelpass.pdf?sfvrsn=7788603a_56

You can buy the online ticket from the Swiss rail company, SBB.ch, with good prices for buying in advance. For example, for the 10:22 departure from Paris Gare de Lyon, which has but a single change at Basel, you can buy a fully-flexible ticket for 213 CHF, a partly-flexible ticket for 90 CHF, or a special offer (non-flexible) ticket for 83 CHF. Seat reservations for the TGV from Paris to Basel is included. The ticket for the Swiss portion from Basel to Luzern is on a regional train—-no seat reservation but flexible.