Please sign in to post.

Paris to Interlaken

We are planning a trip in June. Our itinerary includes traveling by train from Paris to Interlaken. Is it possible to travel the Golden Pass through Montreux to Interlachen or does the route from Paris automatically bypass that particular trip? I don't know if I am phrasing this quite right. Any help will be appreciated!

Posted by
9109 posts

Take the Paris to Lausanne TGV, transfer to a local train to Montreux, at Montreux catch the Golden Pass to Interlaken. The final segment may require up to three changes to reach Interlaken. Check schedules at the Swiss Rail site: rail.ch

Posted by
1028 posts

The direct route will be Paris to Basle and then on to Bern and from there to Interlaken, so no it will not be on the Golden Pass route. I guess, if you wished to you could always change in Bern, go down to Montreux and come back to Interlaken via the Golden Pass route if you so wished.

Posted by
3260 posts

Linda can go from Paris to Montreux, to catch the Golden Pass train, without going through Bern. It is faster and easier to go Paris---Geneva or Lausanne---Montreux.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for your input. We were looking at various routes last night. It does appear that the Paris to Lausanne then to Montreux would work but it would be a full day on the train. Worth it though, right? The other option we are considering is just the fastest way to Interlaken and then during one of our planned 4 days in the area make the trip on The Golden Pass. Still a long day though (3 hours each Of those options, I think taking the necessary steps to traverse The Golden Pass on the way in is the better option. Do you agree?

Posted by
14 posts

Should have read "3 hours each way" ... Interlaken to Montreux

Posted by
9109 posts

Personally I prefer the stretch of the Golden Pass that runs from Interlaken to Luzern. If you are heading to Luzern anyways, I would skip the Montreux-Luzern segment and do the second half instead.

Posted by
4160 posts

I agree with Michael , we took the section of the trip from Interlaken along the lake to Meiringen where they change locomotives to the rack rail and then via the Brunig Pass to Luzern . Stunning scenery . I hope you have allowed ample time for Luzern , it's quite beautiful . Also on YouTube , you can watch " Changing Trains " written and presented by Eric Robson , a 1978 travelogue that shows this trip ( it is in four fifteen minute segments , lots of fun !!

Posted by
14 posts

Okay. So, the consensus is that we should do a day trip on The Golden Pass from Interlaken to Luzern because it is preferable and more beautiful than Interlaken to Montreux? Correct? Thanks again for the input.

Posted by
17251 posts

You could go either way, depending on what else you want to do. Luzern is 2 hours from Interlaken Öst and the scenery along the lakes and over Brünig Pass is lovely. At Luzern you could ride a lake boat to one of the villages, or ride a cable car up Rigi or Pilatus. Luzern itself is charming town worth several hours of your time if you are on a day trip. On your way back you could get off in Brienz and ride a boat over to Grandhotel Giessbach, which looks like a fairy-tale castle, and walk up to the waterfall. Continue by boat Ti Interlakenor return to Brienz and take the train back. Going west, it is 3 hours to Montreux, but you could return the shorter way, via Bern, in 2. The scenic highlight of the Zweisimmen to Montreux section is the trip down from the pass to Montreux, with Lac Leman below you. At Montreux you could walk or taxi to Chateau de Chillon which is a fascinating castle. Montreux itself left me a bit cold; found no charm there like Luzern but the lakefront promenade is nice. This is the French- speaking part of Switzerland, so if you are more comfortable in French than German,,that might weigh in favor of Montreux.

Posted by
14 posts

Lola, I am so excited you mentioned that hotel! It is where we are staying! Thanks for the input.