Please sign in to post.

Paris to Florence

Hello everyone,

A friend, his girlfriend, my wife and I will be traveling to Europe this June which we are very excited! Our journey starts in Barcelona, then Paris to Florence, then Rome and back to Barcelona. We booked a flight from Barcelona to Paris in which we will be staying for 2 days, then we will be heading to Florence for 3 days full days. Our plan was to arrive to Paris in the morning (June 19th) - our flight arrives around 8:40am from Barcelona. We already have an itinerary with the things we want to see and go for those 2 days. Then, we were hoping to travel on a train overnight from Paris to Florence (leave late Saturday 20th night and arrive next day in am), but after reading few forums I learned that the are no overnight trains from Paris to Florence. Instead the only train routes are Paris to Venice and/or Paris to Milan. From there, take another train to Florence.

My following questions are:
Should I use thello? TGV? use Eurorail or raileurope to purchase tickets? which one is more comfortable? I used seat61 website. Our reason to travel at night is because we want avoid having to book a hotel and flight from Paris to Florence. Also, we want to make we can rest or sleep if we can without any problems. The train tickets for the 4 of us is about $420-470 - 1st class which is fine with us.
I would appreciate any advice you may have,

Thank you,
Renato

Posted by
6788 posts

If it were me, I'd fly.

Having done several night trains in Europe, all I can say is, I hope you are capable of sleeping under any conditions. For me, three trains (all with private sleeper compartment, and what I would expect are ideal conditions) = three nights with absolutely zero actual sleep, each followed by 2-3 days of misery walking around like a zombie. Everyone's different. If you can sleep with constant jostling and bumping, bright lights, and skull-splitting screeching noise, then maybe it'll be the great, romantic experience that it first sounds like. For me, never again. After my attempts, nothing ever looked like a bargain so much as a basic hotel room with a non-moving bed. Maybe it'll be different for you and everyone else in your group (but I'd inquire if any of them would say they are "light sleepers" - if yes, look out). Good luck.

Posted by
7833 posts

You would buy direct with Thello to get to Milan since the others do not have overnight sleeper cars
https://www.thello.com/en/

I would probably fly direct to Florence in order to get some sleep.
But you already have a flight from Barcelona; this would be too much to me

Posted by
8139 posts

I'm with David from Seattle: I'd be flying Paris to Florence. You missed a great chance to take a fast train from Barcelona to Paris in 6.5 hours (650 miles)--topping out at 185 mph.
Two days in Paris is not enough time, as any great European city is worthy of a 4 day minimum time.

Posted by
11176 posts

Have you determined how many stops the 'overnight' train journey involves? When and where any train changes occur? (i.e. sleep interruptions)
Is there a plan for the day of arrival if you are sleep deprived.
What you will do with your luggage as it is likely you cannot check in to your lodging at arrival time.

If I were traveling Paris to Florence I would be looking at flight schedules

Posted by
9564 posts

I would fly. It’s too long for a regular train trip.

Posted by
3 posts

Hello everyone,

Thank you guys for all the replies.

I'm fine with noise when it comes to sleep, but I can see a big problem for my wife as she's a very light sleeper. I didn't take in consideration the stops of the train and the other people walking around an such. Now, as far as the luggage that's not a issue since in our arrival to Barcelona (we'll staying with some friends) we will leaving most of our luggage at their house. We plan to travel light (I'll be having like hiking bagpack) from Paris to Rome.

Based on the responses, I think it will be better to fly to Florence. I don't think none us want to be like zombies while sightseeing in Florence.
Thank you again,
Renato

Posted by
9564 posts

Hi Renato, for flights between Paris and Florence (or Pisa), check Skyscanner, which will show all the airlines including EasyJet and not just the big legacy carriers.

Posted by
16893 posts

You don't have to change trains in Milan at 6:00 a.m. You can sleep longer and get off the Thello night train at Verona at 8:00, instead.

But after seeing rates for budget airlines like EasyJet, you may be happy to fly.

Posted by
317 posts

I dont know - I am perhaps in the minority here. If its me, I take Thello to Milan and change for Florence. If there are four of you traveling, you should be able to book a room with four couchettes together. Seat61 talks about it, and details what to expect.