Please sign in to post.

paris to chamonix

I am taking the train and will connect to Chamonix through Lyon. I may be wrong but it seems the train from Paris to Lyon only takes maybe up to 3 hours and then maybe another 2 from there to Chamonix. My question basically, has anyone done this route and if so did you do an over night train or day? If I take an over night to Lyon, are there trains running in the early AM going into Chamonix or am I stuck in a train station until the morining? I am trying my best to maximize my time and also need to know whether or not to spend an extra night in paris only to get up for a 7 am train.

Thanks
Conor

Posted by
3313 posts

Conor - Night trains are best for long routes without changes. To go from Paris to Chamonix, you'll need to change trains along the way. Either plan to get up early in Paris or plan for a nice afternoon and evening in Lyon.

Posted by
151 posts

We took a train at about 10:00 in the AM for Chamonix. We changed in Lyon and Annecy and ended up on a small line into Chamonix. It was a great daytime journey and we were able to spend the late afternoon and overnight in Chamonix.

Lyon itself is underrated and a great night city because of the monument lighting. We ended up staying overnight on the way back to Paris at the end of our trip.