Please sign in to post.

Paris-Milan Schedule for June 2014

Can anyone advise how to find the train schedule for June 2014? Most of the sites seem to only offer information for 90 days out. I am not concerned about the fare at this time but do need to know if a train will run at a certain time. Specifically, the train in question is TGV 9241 from Paris to Milan. Past searches have found this train departs Paris at 7.49 a.m. However, current searches through February 2014 do not indicate any service at that time. Am wondering if that is a seasonal issue or will there be no 7.49 service available going forward.

Thank you for any advice in this area.

Posted by
8700 posts

European train timetables are updated twice a year. It looks like, effective 15 December through 14 June, direct trains from Paris Gare de Lyon to Milano Porta Garibaldi will depart at 06:41, 10:41, and 14:41.

New timetables will go into effect throughout Europe on 14 June. If you are traveling beyond that date, start checking the SNCF site about 90 days in advance of your travel date.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you for your replies. It appears that the time table will not be available until 90 days out. I was hoping some one else had traveled from Paris to Italy at this time last year and could advise that TGV 9239 is substituted for 9241 during certain winter months only.

Posted by
8700 posts

TGV 9239 definitely.will run 15 December to 14 June. It's quite possible that this is a permanent change and the departure times I listed in my previous post will continue beyond 14 June.

Posted by
14 posts

A friend suggested that I also try the DB-Bahn site for scheduling. In playing around with various dates, it looks like the 7.49 a.m. train re-appears in mid April and the 6.41 a.m. goes away. Any thoughts on whether this site is 100% accurate? It does seem to conflict with the other info. I am amazed that SNCF can't advise whether the change is permanent or temporary.

Posted by
6898 posts

John, first is there any compelling reason why you must be on the 7:49am train? Seems the 6:41am train would work just as well. Since you can begin booking in March 2014, this is plenty of time to see precisely when the train will depart. No ambiguity at that point. Mystery over. You are worrying way too early.

Second, DB Bahn receives their schedules from the different trains systems around Europe. They do the best job of placing them online. However, for nailing down the most accurate schedule for a particular country, you really need to look at the train system for that particular country. In this case, it's the French SNCF site. http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ If you looking before mid-June, you can see the trains but you can't book them until you are within 90 days. If you need to see the train schedule beyond mid-June, you may be out of luck as you will have to wait until SNCF refreshes their schedules. DB Bahn cannot help you there.

Last, when using http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/, do not select USA as your Ticket Collection Country. If you do use USA, SNCF will try and switch you to RailEurope which you do not want. Instead, select Great Britain, France or any other country listed to stay on the SNCF website.

Posted by
14 posts

Larry, thanks for your input. While there is only an hour difference, we will be travelling with small children so even the 7.49 a.m. will be challenge!! If the choice is 6.41 a.m.we would have to choose a late morning train. I didn't mention earlier but we are considering travelling past Milan ( same day) thus the desire for the first train out. It may be a case of you can't have your cake and eat it too... but this 6.41 appears to be a new wrinkle as all the other sites as The Man in Seat 61 do not mention the 6.41 train.

In trying the SNCF site, I find you can only see their schedule 90 days out ( not through mid June)It seems they only give you the schedule for trains that they can provide fares ( i.e.- 90 days and under). Am I missing something on their site?

Again, thanks for being of assistance.

Posted by
8700 posts

You are not missing anything on the SNCF site.

The Bahn site gets its timetables for French trains from SNCF so what you see there should be accurate.

I used that site to get the timetables I gave you in my previous post, but I mistakenly assumed that things would be unchanged between 15 December and 14 June.

TGV 9239 departing at 06:41 will run 15 December to 20 April.

TGV 9241 departing at 07:49 will run 21 April to 14 June.

If your departure date is after 14 June, you'll have to wait until 90 days out from that date to see what will be true from 15 June forward.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks again for everyone's comments.