Please sign in to post.

paris metro directions

I will be arriving at Paris Nord station and need directions (I assume the Metro) to Grand Hotel Leveque at 23 rue Cler. The hotel site only states the Metro stop is Ecole Militaire on the #8 line. Can I pick up that line at the train station? Thanks, N.C.

Posted by
4555 posts

From Gare du Nord, take Metro line 4 (direction Porte D'Orleans) three stops to Strasbourg-St. Denis, where you can transfer to line 8 (direction Balard) and Ecole Militaire is 9 stops along. See a complete metro map at http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php . Click on Metro Map to the left.

Posted by
16070 posts

And since you'll probably want to use the Metro while you're in Paris, here's website that explains it all:

How to use the Paris Metro

Posted by
4555 posts

Barry....line 8 doesn't go to Gare de L'est. It only makes it to Strasbourg-St. Denis

Posted by
506 posts

Although this is the best route (line 4 to line 8) I must warn you there are a lot of stairs involved especially at Strasbourg Saint Denis - so be aware that this will be an issue.

I would suggest considering stopping at La Tour Maubourg instead of Ecole Militaire - it is a slightly shorter walk for number 23. (Boulevard Tour Maubourg to rue de Grenelle turn left to Rue Cler - turn right)

Posted by
43 posts

I know this would probably sound obvious, but make sure you know exactly what street you want to walk down first and which direction. If you come out of the exit we always seem to come out of then once you come to the top of the stairs you want to turn around and walk back down the street (Ave La Motte Picquet ) which is back past the staircase you just came up. You then walk for a very short distance and Rue Cler is on your left (just at the yellow post office box). The Leveque is down on the right with the yellow sign. (I "think" that the only other exit is just on the other side of the street so you would just have to cross to reach Rue Cler.) We will never forget our first time coming out of that Metro station. Your first reaction is to automatically start walking forward rather than consider that you should turn around. We immediately walked into the (it seems) 6-way intersection and were completely lost! Have a wonderful time though and stop across the street as Ulysses for a crepe!