Please sign in to post.

Paris Metro

I'm headed to Paris this fall for my first trip and I am trying to decide if I should purchase a Metro Pass and the Museum Pass online and have them delivered to me here in the states? I plan on purchasing both. The 5 day metro pass is 30E and the 4 day museum pass is 50E but you have to pay 13E to have them mailed to the states. Would it be worth it to avoid lines, exchanging money etc.

Posted by
32327 posts

Dawnel, I wouldn't bother purchasing Pass online, especially with the extra cost of shipping. You can easily purchase the Passes when you reach Paris. I can't remember the details from the Guidebook, but buying a Carnet of 10-tickets may be a better value than purchase of a Metro Pass. Which option to choose will depend on how often you plan on using the Metro during the five days. The Paris or France Guidebooks have a good analysis on the advantages and disadvantages of both methods. Happy travels!

Posted by
811 posts

just buy the 10 ticket bundle at the metro ticket window when you get in town. it's easy and inexpensive. there is no need to worry about metro ticket on internet.

Posted by
864 posts

Buy the museum pass at one of the smaller museums (not the Louvre). The Cluny for example. Pay with VISA etc. Use the side entrance of the Louvre (directly across the street from the Louvre Metro stop). Remember the clock starts ticking the day you write on your pass as the first day of use so don't write in the day you arrive. Do the free stuff, walk around etc. I no longer buy a metro pass but buy the carne of 10 instead as I find I frequently walk to/from one spot to another. Just remember you will need your paper ticket to exit the metro. I do the new tickets in left pocket, old ticket in right pocket method. Toss upon exiting.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you arrive in Paris on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, you can load a seven-day, zone 1-2 Navigo Semaine on a passe Navigo Decouverte card, use it for five days, and still pay less than you would for a five-day, zone 1-3 Paris Visite pass. The Navigo Semaine costs €18.85 and is good Monday-Sunday. The re-loadable Navigo Decouverte card costs €5.00. You must supply a small photo (approximately 25x30mm) to attach to the card.