Please sign in to post.

Oyster card or travel card

Will be in London 6 days first week June. Arriving and departing from Heathrow. Staying in Mayfair area. Which is better? Oyster card or 7- day travelcard?

Posted by
3958 posts

You have posted the same question twice. Could you delete your other post?

Posted by
8398 posts

I like the Oyster Card because it works for multiple trips. I’m using one I first bought about 10 years ago.

Posted by
7 posts

thanks. I will try to figure out how many trips per day and zones. Had an oyster card from a previous trip but did not keep.

Posted by
2512 posts

An Oyster card is simply a payment method - like a bank card or phone.

You probably mean pay-as-you-go with an Oyster card (or bank card or phone) or buy a travelcard and then add that to an Oyster card.

A travelcard is aimed at regular travellers doing the same route. For a visitor, the best choice is likely pay-as-you-go.

Posted by
377 posts

When you figure zones, if you're rarely leaving Zones 1-2, then you can buy a travelcard for just those zones and load other funds onto the Oyster card to use outside Zones 1-2. We are heading out to Zone 4 just once during our week in London; right now the travelcard and pay-as-you-go are about even with our plans so far, which means we would probably skip the travelcard, so we don't have to do extra tapping out and in when we leave Zone 2.

Posted by
2464 posts

As a general rule I'm strongly in favor of travel card type products because they incentivize usage over conservation -- you've paid for it so the more use you get out of it the better. But, what if your itinerary includes days where you plan to be in a museum or a park or garden for pretty much the whole day, and you only need to get there and get back? In those situations, the best combination is to buy 1-day passes for days you know will be a lot of out-and-about, and then pay-as-you-go on days when you are only there-and-back.

Posted by
354 posts

This doesn’t necessarily answer your either or question, but I would say neither. Assuming you have a smart phone or smart watch, just tap in and out and go. Taking the time to purchase and/or load a card seems like a waste of time IMO. I have my Apple Watch and set it to express transit mode and tapping in and out is a breeze. I suppose if you don’t have a smart watch and/or phone, then you are asking a wonderful question which you have already received good responses.

Posted by
332 posts

Oyster card or 7- day travelcard?

Neither. Use contactless cards or contactless on your phone

Posted by
2391 posts

There is a daily limit with pay as you go, so that was my choice on a recent trip. I used my CC to tap in/out, but if you are not comfortable using your CC that way, buy an Oyster and load it.