Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card in London

Is the Oyster Card a great way to get around London?

Posted by
646 posts

Very convenient to use. While in London, we purchased the Oyster Card at one of the underground stations. Much better than worrying about daily transportation costs. Check out the website for additional info.

Posted by
9110 posts

Tally the cost and potential usage for the amount of time you'll be there. For me, the subway (I think it's good for buses as well) day pass works better.

Posted by
172 posts

In October we bought 7 day Oyster Card, I think it was about 28 pounds, with the one time 3 pounds card fee. This is far cheaper than using one day travel cards each day (5.60 or something like that). Very convenient as well, you don't have to worry about accidentally bending card as you do with the paper ones (they don't work in the machines once they are bent). There is also an Oyster card you prepay money onto.

Posted by
1116 posts

Yes, you can even buy it at Heathrow if you plan to take the tube into London. 3 pound charge to buy it that is reimbursed to you along with whatever balance is left on the card which you can also do at the Heathrow tube station.

Posted by
32798 posts

FYI, Oyster Card deposit now up to £5.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks everyone. Since we will be in London a minimum of 3 days we are going with the Oyster Card. Oyster deposit/refund going up but someone had posted the Tube is also going up in price.

Posted by
332 posts

We? Two people can save big bucks by buying paper travelcards from rail (not tube) stations to take advantage of 2 for 1 discounts offered by http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/. 2 for 1 offers include such expensive attractions as Tower of London at £17, Cabinet War Rooms at £14.95, Kew Gardens at £13.90, and St. Paul's Cathedral at £12. A one day travelcard costs the same on Oyster or paper. The 2 for 1 savings makes the bother of a trip to a rail station worth it.