Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card

This is my first trip to London and after reading over all the transportation options, the Oyster card sounds like the most reasonable to me. Has anyone had experience using it? Can you use it on the double decker busses?

Posted by
113 posts

Was there last March. I just opted for the 3-day Tube ticket (as adviced by Rick's book). To get 2 for 1 offers for tourists spots, buy your tickets (Travelcard?) at a railway station, not an Underground station. I learned about this in the web. (Should let Rick know about it :-) The ticket will have the railway symbol (I think they call it crow feet or footprint). Ask for the booklet of 2-for-1 coupons upon purchase. Or you can print it out from the web. They look at your rail ticket when buying entrance tickets to get the 2-for-1.

Posted by
32224 posts

Cindy,

I've found that the Oyster Card works well for getting around London, especially on the Tube. I've never used it on the Double Decker Buses, but I believe it works for those as well.

Have a look at the England or London Guidebooks or www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx for more information on the Oyster Cards.

Which London airport will you be arriving at? You should be able to purchase the card at the first station you encounter. I bought mine at London Victoria.

Happy travels!

Posted by
251 posts

Thanks, Ken. We will arrive in London at Heathrow on October 14 or a quick 4 days sightsee. My husband and I plus our 2 adult children (23 and 19). We fly in to Terminal 1. I question buying the Oyster since we are only there for 3 full days. We arrive before 7 a.m. on a Thursday and will leave Sunday afternoon. The Oyster seemed like a good idea until I read about 2 for 1 passes on a Travelcard. We will be touring the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, and a few others where the 2 for 1 would help with costs. One post suggested buying the Oyster, but also purchase Travelcards on those days we want the 2 for 1. Isn't that overlapping?

Posted by
32224 posts

Cindy,

There's a good analysis of the various train passes in the England Guidebook (pages 54 & 55 in the 2007 edition). If you have a look at that, it should give you a good idea on which pass will be most suitable for your particular circumstances.

Cheers!

Posted by
780 posts

You can use it on all regular double decker buses and single city buses (you tap the yellow dot only when you enter, not when you get off, unlike the tube where you tap when you go on and when you get off the tube..)..

There is no longer a 3 day travelcard available for the Oyster card. At lease it wasnt when I was there in December and again in April.

You can get the 3 day card from the rail station - it is also where you would get the 2 for 1 offers, not available on the Oyster card.

You cannot use them on the double decker Bus tour buses.... i.e. the ones with no roof....

Either way, if you are just getting a travel card for the touristy areas in zones 1-2, you will need to pay a little extra if you need to go back and forth to and from Heathrow which is in zone 6.

Posted by
91 posts

I got back from London 2 weeks ago and used the Oyster card to go everywhere. Cheap and easy. Definitely the way to go.