Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card

Can two people share an Oyster card or does each person need their own. If you don't use all of money on the card can you get a refund?

Posted by
32325 posts

Chad, I don't believe two people can share an Oyster Card. There's a small deposit payable when you get the card, in addition to the fares you add to it. When you leave, you should be able to get a refund for the unused portion and the deposit. Cheers!

Posted by
33525 posts

What Ken said. £3 deposit, turn it in and get it back. One card per person, please.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks for the info do you only get a deposit back or can you get money back?

Posted by
175 posts

Hi Chad, You will receive your three Pound deposit plus any monies still on the card. Two different people can use the card just not on the same metro trip. If you try to have two people use the card on the same trip the card records that you entered the Metro system but didn't scan out before you entered a second time. The card then gets really upset, thinks that you are a cheat and charges you a bunch of extra Pounds. The same thing happens if you don't scan in but you do scan out when departing. This is not true for the bus system. You can have two people use the card because you only scan the card on entry. Oyster is the most sensible, cost effective and time saving way to travel. England/Fun!

Posted by
17 posts

Well it looks like you will need two cards

Posted by
33525 posts

Its not fair to put more than one person on an Oyster card because it only records to the daily cap and surely 2 or more people will reach the cap sooner than one. You really need one card each. I'm sorry if I was not clear before.

Posted by
332 posts

If there are two of you traveling together and you plan to visit London attractions you might save a lot by buying paper travelcards from a rail station ticket office and taking advantage of the Days Out 2 for 1 offers. You could save £17 at the Tower of London, £14.95 at the Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms, £10.50 at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre Tour and Exhibition, and £13.50 at Kew Gardens. Details of discounts at http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ .