Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card

Seeing if I get this right.For example,if the cost of a single ride on the tube is about 5 lbs. So if I get an Oyster Card and pay 20 lbs. when I buy it,it is only good for 4 rides.Doing some early planning for a 3 night stay in London at the end of March.

Posted by
8700 posts

No, that is not how it works. A single ride using an Oyster card is less than paying cash for a single ticket. The Oyster computer automatically gives you the best fare. Each day your card will top off at no more than the cost of a one day travelcard for the zones you travel in that day. £20 should give you unlimited rides for your three days in London.

Posted by
1116 posts

The oyster card costs 3GBP to buy and then you can put whatever amt you want on it. A total of 20GBP should be good for 3 days. It's good for the bus and the tube, and it calculates the cheapest daily limit for your rides. You can easily get the 3 GBP back at the end plus a refund of whatever's left on the card. If you need to top it off you have to do so in 5GBP increments. I got mine at Heathrow when I arrived and used the tube to get back and forth into London, then got my refund at Heathrow also at the end of my trip. So easy to use.

Posted by
349 posts

Oyster card --- put money on it and it will give you the best deal no thinking required but if a seven day pass is the best thing for you you must buy it in advance. Questions ???

Posted by
8700 posts

Whether you buy a paper seven-day travelcard or load one on an Oyster card, there is no need to buy it before you get to London.

Posted by
15589 posts

Try this site for a list of the fares http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx If you are staying in the center and sightseeing, you probably won't go outside Zones 1-2, except to/from the airport. You can also use the oyster on the buses - when it's not rush hour, they can be a good native to the tube. The system automatically figures out the lowest amount to debit the card, based on the fare table. You can buy the card at the tube station at Heathrow, if you are planning to take the tube into the city. Best not to load too much cash onto the card. When you leave, if the balance is under £10, you can get a cash refund of the balance + the deposit (£5) when you leave, at most tube stations. If you are going back to Heathrow by tube, you can do it at the airport station. Or you can keep the card for your next trip.