Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card

I have been on the visitbritain.com website reading about the Oyster card. Can we purchase one card and use it for both my husband and me? The base price for ordering it on line under visitbritaindirect.com is $25.00. I don't think we want to buy two cards worth $50.00. Thanks again for your help.

Posted by
505 posts

No.

The Oystercard is only good for transport in London. The train to Bath will be operated by a private company, and you'll have to buy a separate ticket.

Kate

Posted by
8700 posts

You and your husband will each need your own Oyster card. There is no advantage to buying them before you get to London. There is a £3 fee and the card is good forever. You just keep loading money on it as needed. If you load a seven-day travelcard on it, the fee is waived. If you use the card strictly as a pay-as-you-go card, you pay the fee; but it can be refunded--along with any money loaded on it that you haven't spent--when you leave London. You can load a seven-day travelcard and pay-as-you go money (for travel outside the zones covered by the travelcard) on the same Oyster card. See www.tfl.gov.uk.

Posted by
525 posts

Thanks Tim. Can the Oyster card be used for train fare from London to Bath? Just curious. I haven't read all the website info regarding the Oyster card. Do you find it profitable if we will be walking most of the time around London and just catch a train after an evensong or being just too far from our B&B.
Can we use the Oyster card to go to Windsor Castle outside of London?
I know I need to read and research which I'm doing but at the moment I'm paying bills and cleaning house. Thanks again. How's your day going?

Posted by
8700 posts

An Oyster card can be used on SOME national rail trains within London, but service to Windsor is not included. See here: http://tinyurl.com/2elqlj.

And my day is going fine. Thanks for asking!