Please sign in to post.

Overnight Trains

My wife and I will be in Porto in July. We'd like information about overnight train from Porto to Barcelona. Can anyone give us suggestions on routes and/or sites we can visit to research such travel? Thanks, Bob

Posted by
389 posts

Your first stop for European rail inquiries should be bahn.com, the German railways site. It contains schedules for virtually the entire European rail network. According to the Bahn, an overinght route from Porto to Barcelona would take around 14 hours, involving connecting in Coimbra with the nightly sleeper from Lisbon to Madrid, then the high-speed AVE to Barcelona. This would be quite an expensive trip considering the AVE leg alone often costs more than 100 euro per person. Fortunately, Ryanair flies direct from Porto to BCN with prices appearing to be under $50 per person (plus fees of course). Skyscanner.com is a site that consolidates many budget airlines' schedules and is great for exploring flight options.

Posted by
984 posts

Not much more to add and obviously I do not know your experience, but if a flight suits - use it. Overnight train journeys, whether with more than one leg or direct are not comfortable for many and leave you wasted for at least part of the following site seeing day.