Please sign in to post.

Overnight Train Travel

I would like to book a night train from Munich to Varenna in June. Should i book in advance or wait until I get to Munich? What is the best website to book my tickets?

Posted by
19092 posts

Night trains tend to sell out, at least for the best sleeping accommodations, well before departure date. Book as soon as you can commit. Use the Bahn website. If you book ahead, you can get good savings with the Savings Night fares.

You won't find a night train all the way to Varenna. I think the closest you'll get is the CNL train to Milan with local trains to Varenna in the morning.

Posted by
16893 posts

The savings fare definitely makes booking ahead worthwhile. You can't book ahead for the regional connection from Milano Centrale station to Varenna-Esino, so buy that ticket in the station for about 10 euros; runs about every two hours, see www.trenord.it for schedules.

Posted by
4407 posts

My $0.02 worth - I recall the scenery being really pretty and varied. I would suggest spitting this trip into two - Munich to Verona, then on to Varenna (wow, these 'V towns' start making my tongue and eyes cross!). You could even arrive in Verona for lunch, take a walk around, then continue on to Varenna that evening in time for dinner, if you felt you really couldn't afford the full day (and night) in Verona.

Either way, if you book these tickets ASAP online, you can save lots of $$$.

If you follow the link in the above post, look at the upper-right-hand corner, and click on 'Classic View' to find the English flag so you can use the site in English (assuming you aren't functionally fluent in Italian).