Please sign in to post.

Overnight Train Rome to Paris, credit card trouble?

I'm trying to book two tickets for an overnight Artesia 4-berth couchette for my fiancee and I, before we leave for Europe. We'll be heading from Rome to Paris on the evening of June 3rd, and I can only get to the trenitalia.com credit card checkout page before it tells me my card is denied. My credit card company (Bank of America Mastercard) has no record of anything being run, so it's not being 'declined', just not accepted by the site. I've heard of this happening from the 'Man in Seat 61' train website also.

As I do not speak Italian, I'm not sure if calling trenitalia would help, or should I wait until arriving in Italy on May 21st to book the June 3rd train?

NOW HERE'S THE CATCH: I'm not worried about not getting on the train. However, the regular fare is about US$430 for the two of us, but there are SMART Fares and GO Fares available online for a lower rate, if you book early enough to get the discount. I'm not having luck selecting the 60 euro smartfare, but the 85 euro Go Fare seems to be available, if I can only get my darn card to go through. Any advice on my problem, or the presence of these lower fares and how long I should expect to be able to get them before the train? (and can I feel safe waiting until 5/21 to book a Go Fare in person for this?) THANKS!

Posted by
7209 posts

Many people report the same problems with attempting to book via trenitalia. I would search for a travel agency in Rome and email/call to see what they can do for you.

Posted by
2207 posts

See your other post for call center info.

Ron