Please sign in to post.

Overnight Train

What if I board the train after 7p.m., but there's one connection in the middle of the night, and the train arrives to final destination after 4 a.m., such as Paris to Munich, will that still count as one travel day, on the arrival date?

Thank you!

Posted by
20096 posts

Does the original train you board after 7 pm reach it's final destination after 4 am?

Posted by
19092 posts

If the first train, the one you get off of in the middle of the night, continues to it's final destination after 4 AM, then it counts for the second (arrival) day, as does the next train. It the first train gets to it's final destination before 4 AM, then I guess you use two days.

Posted by
20096 posts

Again, give us precisely the trains you are talking about and we can look them up and check.

Posted by
14509 posts

If the first train you board is after 7pm, say stops at xxx at 11 pm , then at 23:30 you board your connecting train which gets in at, say 0730, then you have used two Pass days.

In order to use just one Pass day on a night train, the first train you board has to depart after 7 pm and arrive after 0400 hrs.

I take night trains but only use one Pass day, which I indicate on the Pass, ie the date of arrival, sometime between 5 -7 am is best. The night trains requiring a connection "in the middle of the night" I never take those for a number of reasons, using up 2 Pass days is one of them.

Posted by
14509 posts

There used to be a Paris to Munich night train when DB ran the CNL night trains, I took that night train a few years back.

Going from Paris to Munich I would do the journey as a day ride. Take the early TGV from Paris Est to Frankfurt Hbf, that's direct and mandatory reservations. Change to the ICE for Munich Hbf. I suggest reserving a seat on this ICE train too.

When I ride that Paris-Frankfurt route, either way, I ride 1st class on the TGV, worth the difference in price.

Posted by
20096 posts

OK, I'll try to guess at what you are getting at. There is a 7:06 pm ICE train from Paris Est that connects to an ICE train in Mannheim to an ICE to Munich at 1:06 am. This would count as 2 days, since that 7:06 pm from Paris terminates at Frankfurt Hbf at 10:58 pm. The connecting ICE terminates at Munich at 7:13 am.

Posted by
11180 posts

No idea when your trip is but skyscanner.com shows flights (90 minutes) for less than $100.

I would not do train trip with change in middle of night and arrive at a destination sleep deprived.

Posted by
6390 posts

There is also a direct TGV from Paris to Munich for €50 or so.

Posted by
16893 posts

The connection in the middle does mean that your overnight plan uses two travel days on a flexi pass. There is no direct overnight train departing from Paris to Germany and no trains that offer beds, either. In fact, the only overnight train departing from Paris at all that accepts rail passes is one to the French Pyrenees.