Please sign in to post.

Overnight train??

Hi,

I'm trying to book an overnight rail itinerary from Interlaken to La Spezia, and came up with the following:

=================================

Station/Stop Date Time Comments

Interlaken West dep 18:02 -> Spiez arr 18:17

Spiez dep 18:38 -> Brig arr 19:42

Brig dep 20:20 -> Milano Centrale arr 22:35

Milano Centrale dep 23:00 -> Parma(I) arr 00:16 (Night train)

Parma(I) dep 05:12 -> La Spezia Centrale arr 07:20

Hint: Prolonged stop

==========================

My question is-- the Milan->Parma leg is listed as a night train with sleeping cars, yet the trip is only 1 hour 16 minutes (2300 to 0016). Does this mean that the train arrives at Parma, and they let you sleep on the train (parked at the station) until the next train?

Thanks in advance,

-- Gerald

Posted by
19092 posts

ICN785, the train from Milan to Parma, does not spend the night parked in the Parma station. It spends only 2 minutes in Parma, then goes on, with other stops, to Bologna (01:24), Bari (08:31), Tatanto (10:18), and eventually Crotone at 14:00.

Posted by
6898 posts

You're not going to get much sleep on this journey. You could pick up the Basel/Rome overnighter in Spiez and get off at Bologna for your trip to La Spezia. This will get you about 6 hours of sleep. This train does not stop at Milan. Let me know if you want more info on this kind of schedule. I can provide more information.

Posted by
47 posts

You know, I'm planning the exact same trip. If you're interested in details, email me, but I decided that the overnight trains from Interlaken to La Spezia were not worth the hassle. The schedule is poorly timed and you simply won't get the sleep (which is the whole point of taking the overnight train.) We decided to leave Interlaken around 1 in the afternoon, take a four hour train to Milan, and spend the evening there (overnight). Then, the next morning, take a 3 hour train to La Spezia (no stops).

Posted by
8700 posts

If you check the timetables at www.bahn.de, the route Larry mentions will show up as one of your choices.