Please sign in to post.

Overnight Interlaken to Bacharach?

Has anyone ever taken CNL from interlaken to Bacharach? We are going in May '12, and trying to maximize our time in both locations. I have searched and don't see many people who've done this.
Interlaken 20:00 > Basel 22:12 > Koblenz 4:43 > BACH 6:30 Is this crazy, or has anyone experienced this? Seems I could sleep from Basel to Koblenz and enjoy the day in Bachrach.

Posted by
32257 posts

KT, Making a change at 04:43 is brutal and not something I'd ever recommend! That's probably a good reason why many people haven't done that particular trip. I wouldn't be able to "enjoy the day in Bacharach" without a good night's sleep. The suggestion that Lee made would be a good one to consider. Be sure to tell the Hotel that you'll be a "late check-in". Cheers!

Posted by
9109 posts

I've ridden this night train a few times; to Amsterdam it's final destination. Realistically by the time you settle in and all that, you'll only get about 4 hours sleep. If you're okay with that go for it, otherwise take a day train.

Posted by
19 posts

It does seem expensive to take a train from Interlaken to Bacharach, stay for 1 day/1 night....then head to Amsterdam (my next stop). Is the Rhine area beautiful and worth a 1 1/2 day stop? Or should I book the overnight train and just head to Amsterdam?

Posted by
19163 posts

That night train connection only has less than 6½ hours to sleep from the time it leaves Basel until you get to Koblenz at 4:43 (and you'll have to wake up before 4:43 to get off at that time). You'll also have to stay awake for stopovers of 18 and 25 min between Koblenz and Bacharach if you go through Bingen or for over an hour in Koblenz if you go directly to Bacharach. If you leave Interlaken Ost at 16:00, 4 hours earlier, you could be in Bacharach before 10:30 that night, get a better night's sleep and have the next day in Bacharach.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks friends! You've convinced me.....! We'll take a late afternoon train out of Interlaken, arrive to Bacharach in the evening, sleep well and enjoy the Rhine!

Posted by
32257 posts

KT, Any ideas on which Hotel you'll use in Bacharach? If you have the Germany Guidebook, there are lots of suggestions there.

Posted by
19 posts

Was looking at Hotel Kranenturm. Have you stayed there?

Posted by
32257 posts

KT, Yes, I have stayed at Hotel Kranenturm. The room was very comfortable and the owners are wonderful. Some people seem to be concerned with the noise from the trains, as the Hotel is right next to the tracks, but I didn't find that to be a problem. The walls are solid stone and about a foot thick! As I recall, there's no Elevator, so if that's a concern. Again, I didn't find that to be a problem. Cheers!