Please sign in to post.

Overhead bin size for Embraer 195

I'll be flying from Munich to Venice on Lufthansa's Embraer 195. I'm wondering if Rick Steve's Rolling Backpack (7"x20"x14") will actually fit in the overhead bin. Anyone have insight on this?

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for your advice. Yes, good idea to be able to grab an inside bag, if I have to do a gate check-in of the Roller-backpack.

Posted by
5799 posts

While I haven't flown Lufthansa's Embraer 195, I did fly regularly on a route in the States that used an Embraer 190. Standard 21" bags would fit in the overhead, but they could not go in wheels first. Instead, they had to go in so the long side faced out. That always meant that the bins filled up quickly and some people had to gate check their bags. As with any flight, you should be prepared to check if asked. I always keep the important items (e.g. meds, valuables, etc.) at the top of my bag so that I can pull them out quickly to carry on, if needed.

Posted by
8308 posts

They're full size airliners, more like a DC-9 in size. You should be okay with the carry on bag. Even on the 50 and 75 passenger jets with smaller fuselages, most airlines take your carry on bag on the tarmac/gates and give them back as soon as you arrive at the tarmac/gates.