Please sign in to post.

Orbitz,

I had a problem with a reservation I made because they took off my middle name, making it not match the passport. Orbitz said they had to cancel my reservation completely. It took the woman so long that it was gone when I tried to rebook. Does this kind of thing happen a lot?

Posted by
284 posts

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. In the future, after you've made your purchase with Orbitz or Expedia, you can always approach the airlines directly with concerns like this and they can handle the issues better. I don't believe that you were required to cancel your reservation. Also, what you were really trying to do here was change the name in the SecureFlight data, which is different from the name on the ticket and should not require a reissue.
Plus, and I'm not sure that the middle name is all that important. I have two long middle names which routinely get cut off or mushed together (So, instead of something like "Fritjof Kristoffer" it become either "Fritjof Kristoff" or "Fritjofkristoffer", neither of which is what is on my ID) and have never had an issue at the airport. =</p>

Posted by
223 posts

Orbitz listened when I shared the information I learned here. They are told so little, I guess. I was questioned in Calgary when the middle name was incomplete last year, so I was trying to be extra careful to smooth out the process. Still trying to find a ticket, but now I know.
I also learned that using a "." and cramming both names in the 'first name' place works well on the Orbitz website. Example: Mary.Sue Smith. Thanks so much for your information (no, I didn't tell them where I got it!)