Please sign in to post.

One Way Ticket to Europe

A few RS forum members who like to travel flexible have said they buy a one way ticket and when the time comes they buy a ticket back.

I bought a one way ticket to Europe and the Delta agent this morning wouldnt give me a boarding pass with out a return or on going flight, or proof of residency in Europe.

So how do you one way ticket travelers do it?

Posted by
23268 posts

We have never encountered that. Tell them you are returning on a cruise. This doesn't make sense. Something else is going on. Many times we don't have a return flight scheduled because we are looking for a return FF business class ticket that is released a week or so prior to departure. There has to be more to this story.

A few years ago we were able to purchase a RT ticket with an open-ended return date (from Delta) when our son was in a study abroad program in Spain. Only restriction was that he had to make a return reservation two weeks prior to departure. Would something like that still be available?

Posted by
5516 posts

I am assuming that things were ok once you showed your residence permit.

I’ve been asked to show my return ticket; this has happened when I have booked on different airlines (e.g., used FF miles one way and a paid ticket on a different airline for the return). I have always had a return ticket.

Many, many years ago, immigration in the U.K. asked to see my return ticket. I was in my 20s with a backpack. They also wanted to know how I was going to pay for my travels (I showed them my credit card and traveler’s checks … it was that long ago).

The tip I have most often seen is to buy a fully refundable ticket for your return.

Posted by
4000 posts

Perhaps things have changed since the days when you could just buy a one-way ticket from the US to another country.

My husband and I had that same problem flying to Montréal on Delta in May. The app would not give us our boarding passes so we had to get the boarding passes in person at La Guardia Airport. The ticket agent said we had to prove that we were coming back to the United States before she issued boarding passes as Canada would not allow anyone entry without proof of exit; we could easily prove it as we had bought tickets on Amtrak for the trip back to NYC a week later.

Posted by
5516 posts

This doesn't make sense. Something else is going on. Many times we don't have a return flight scheduled because we are looking for a return FF business class ticket that is released a week or so prior to departure. There has to be more to this story.

This happens pretty routinely. Maybe you have just been lucky.

Posted by
4078 posts

Interesting…. Glad you don’t have to stay in Texas, though.

I am considering a series of one-way tickets with miles in a year or two. This will be a good question to get answered.

Workaround in my case would be another quick purchase with miles (which are always cancellable and refunded right back into my miles account). But I am not fond of last minute flight surprises.

Posted by
5516 posts

The other thing I will mention (when you have two one-ways) is that you may not be able to complete on-line check in. I’ve had the situation where you go through the on-line check-in process and at the end it tells you that you will need to see an agent to collect your boarding pass. The agent then asks about your return before issuing a boarding pass.

Posted by
756 posts

I've had the situation arise when an Asian expat. Never a problem with a one-way ticket to the US where I hold citizenship. To counter the issue going into Asia (despite legal residency), I have booked refundable 2-ways and gotten a refund for the return portion of the tickets.

Laura, I had the same thing happen as a young 20 year old backpacker trying to enter England. My travel companion and I had been up all night on the ferry crossing from France. After the all-nighter, I'm sure we did look questionable! I was questioned at length and had to physically show my cash before I was allowed into the country. My companion was not questioned at all - I always wondered if I really looked that much worse than she did! Ah, the memories!! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by
27112 posts

Mr. E, was this a flight to Budapest?

I wonder whether the likelihood of being questioned depends partly on the destination. I know you're past the usual age for impecunious backpackers.

I've never flown to Europe on a one-way cash ticket. I've done it at least twice (as recently as this year) on one-way frequent-flyer tickets. No eyebrows have been raised on the way to Europe. I did get extra attention when flying home from Barcelona. I never figured out what that was about.

Posted by
17919 posts

Where else would I be going,? LOL!
Going home. Boy, that will take a while to get used to saying.

First time ever with a full overhead. I was surprised. It's an A320 and the overheads are poorly designed is most of the problem.

Posted by
27112 posts

You've often mentioned spending some time in other cities in conjunction with trips to Budapest. I know Odesa and Kyiv are pretty much off the table now, but you've got all the Balkan countries to consider.

Posted by
2267 posts

Proof of onward travel is a common requirement for visa-free travel. If a passenger is stopped at the border and sent home not only does the airlines have to eat the cost of flying them back, but can face significant fines. Because of this airlines can be quite strict, down to the agents who allowed it to happen and can face corrective action from their employer.

I travel on one-way tickets somewhat regularly. I’ve found that if I depart from a smaller airport and connect Stateside, it’s not asked. When flying from an international gateway, the agents are more savvy—and self protective. Case in point: I’m at CLT right now, on a one-way ticket to MAD. No one batted an eye when I checked in at BDL.

Posted by
17919 posts

acraven, I didnt travel much this year. Hungary, Texas, Romania, Germany, Luxemburg. Malta, D.C., Belton. Looks like the next big trip might be Australia in January. Then the Balkans for fishing in March or April. Slowing down with age.

Posted by
5516 posts

I wonder whether the likelihood of being questioned depends partly on the destination.

Destination does matter. In 2015, I was surprised to be asked for proof that I would be leaving the schengen area when I traveled on a one-way ticket between London and Salzburg. This was when Austria had tightened border controls due to a surge of migrants. The airline was asking for proof from anyone checking in with a non-EU passport.

Posted by
196 posts

I just checked in with Delta on a one way ticket to Santiago, Chile. The site required me to state when I would be leaving Chile before it issued my boarding pass. It didn't ask for proof though. Maybe they will at the airport.

Posted by
16265 posts

We fly one way all the time, because I book with miles and it works out better that way. Literally (and I mean that in the true sense of the word) every single trip since our 2011 trip to Spain. That’s 10 trips to Europe, one to Australia, one to Patagonia, and two to Japan. These are as recent as September to Europe, and right now we are in Japan—-we flew from Seattle to Tokyo 4 days ago. Japan Airlines did not bat an eyelash.

The only 2 times we were asked for proof of a return ticket was when we went to Chile; I anticipated this and had a copy of our return flight to show. Also on an Emirates flight from Sydney to New Zealand. Again I e pelted this and had proof of a ticket back to Australia. But only those two.

Airlines we have flown are British Airways, Condor, Qantas, Emirates, ANA, and Japan Airlines.

Maybe it is a Delta thing?