Please sign in to post.

Night Train Reservations

About a week ago I booked a double sleeper (including reservation) on the night train from Naples to Venice for June 26 from Rail Europe. A few days ago I got an email from them advising me that due to the summer schedule change, they were not able to make my reservation and would keep trying daily until 5 days before I leave for Europe (I leave on June 12) after which I would need to get my reservations in Europe. Should I be concerned about not getting my reservation before I leave?

Posted by
6898 posts

Yes, you should. RailEurope is a ticket re-seller. They are complete slugs for selling tickets in the future when they know, as many on this site know, that Trentitalia updates their schedules twice a year. The schedule are updated in mid-June (summer schedule change) and mid-December. It seems to me that they are selling tickets that they cannot put their hands on. I can see the 774 Marco Polo departing Naples up until 6/12 but I can't see it on 6/16. The missing train is could be caused by either Trenitalia not yet updating their schedule or the train could be eliminated. Can't tell. Obviously, neither can RailEurope.

All of that being said, the trip from Naples to Venice is not that bad. During the daytime, it's a 6.0hr. journey. Your night train journey is 9.5 hours. Some of the runs have no train changes. Some have one. Unless you are trying to save daylight, a hotel stay or both, the daytime travel can work out well. I hope that RailEurope doesn't jerk you around on this one. They do have an 800 number in the U.S. (800-622-8600). You could call them and ask them why they can't assure you a solid ticket. I'd be curious as to the reason.

Posted by
6 posts

Here is what they said:

"Thank you for booking on line with Rail Europe. We are holding the order in our system to advise you that due to the annual summer schedule change, we are unable to confirm your reservations at this time. The European rail companies are in the process of loading the trains into the international reservation system. However, there are still some trains that have not been loaded. We may not have schedules until early June.
We will hold the booking and keep trying to confirm the reservations on a daily basis. If we are unable to confirm your reservations 5 days prior to your departure date, we will contact you to advise that your reservations will need to be purchased locally."

If the summer schedules are not set, what options do I have for getting a reservation on this train? We arrive in Europe (Greece) on June 13 and fly to Rome on June 21. Any advice?

Posted by
6 posts

FYI, I just got an email from Rail Europe stating that this train will not be operating.

Posted by
8700 posts

Brandon,

I just checked the Trenitalia site and learned that your route for Salerno-Venice is two legs, Salerno-Napoli and Napoli-Venezia Santa Lucia. The second leg is the same night train that Justin has just discovered has been discontinued.

Posted by
1 posts

Justin,

I just had the same email sent to me, except I booked an entire two weeks of trains ahead of time. It says early June, but it is early June - so not sure. We leave June 13 and had similarly booked a night train from Salerno to Venice on June 23rd.
Most likely though, if they dont come through - everything I heard is it is not too hard to get them once in Italy. I cant imagine the night trains would be sold out unless it is around a holiday or festival... I am just going to take my train ticket itinerary and purchase them once I arrive using it as a goby. I wouldnt think you would have a problem just purchasing it the first chance you had at the train station when you arrive in Rome. The 5 days should be far enough in advance, as oftentimes the day before is enough. Hope you have a great trip -

Posted by
8700 posts

Brandon,

Popular night trains can sell out weeks in advance. Does the Salerno-Venice night train fit in that category? I don't know, but it's best to book reservations/sleeping accommodations ASAP for any night train.