Please sign in to post.

night train reservations

I know rick suggests getting night train sleeper reservations asap. whats the reality.... can you get a night train sleeper compartment the same day as departure?
experiences you have had will be appreciated... Venice to budapest to be specific

Posted by
9100 posts

You should always get advance reservations for night trains...especially if you want a private sleeper. Those are the first rooms to sell out.

Posted by
20 posts

How far in advance can you make a night train reservation?--I am traveling from Munich to Venice in Oct about 12th--I have been looking to make a reservation however it states on the bahn.de "no advance reservations"--I am traveling alone and really would like a private sleeper--Any suggestions?

Posted by
521 posts

Hi Sharon,

You cannot really make reservations more than 90 days out from departure. If you know which train you will be taking and you are comfortable booking, then try about three months before-hand.

In reality, how far in advance can depend on the route and the season, but I would try a minimum of two weeks for a couchette, and certainly longer for a private sleeper. I booked two couchette bunks last July when we arrived in Europe for a trip from Switzerland - Bologna. Not the most popular route, but two weeks before the trip we managed to get two of the last bunks on the train - and they were on the bottom, which is the worst location in a couchette. So as you can see, try to make your reservation weeks in advance if possible.

Posted by
208 posts

I made my reservation for a single sleeper today for a trip on 26/Sept from Vienna to Frankfurt. The singles seem to go pretty fast. 90 days out is the earliest you can book but if your plans are firm, I would book as early as possible to be assured you get a sleeper.