Please sign in to post.

night train from prague to krakow

Want to take the night train from prague to krakow. We have 6 adult passengers who would like a sleeper compartmet. Is it best to book on line or at the train station?

Posted by
19109 posts

The German Rail schedule website shows a night train from Prague (10:29 PM) to Krakow (6:35), but, German Rail, of course, does not sell tickets online for this train. You might be able to get tickets by calling (49 1805 99 66 33) German Rail in Germany. RailEurope does not show being able to sell tickets for this train. You might also be able to get tickets from the Czech Rail or Polish Rail sites. Waiting until you are over there might be a problem. Some accommodations on some night train sell out well in advance.

Posted by
4637 posts

I don't know if you would be able to buy ticket for train from CZ to Poland in Germany. But Lee is usually right about trains so I would say try it. If it does not work then you can call Czech Rails (Ceske Drahy): 420 840 112 113 or you can send them email with you request: [email protected]
I could not find on their website how to buy ticket for a sleeper.

Posted by
60 posts

We did this trip last spring and was able to book same day at the station. One suggestion, if you have a Eurail Global Pass do not even let them see you have it. They saw ours and even though we told them we need a reservation and an actual ticket three times they only gave us a reservation, when I questioned it they said we were good to go. This however was not the case, like a scene from a movie we were nearly thrown off the train at the Polish Boarder at 2 AM. Money was the only thing that allowed us to stay on the train..

Posted by
60 posts

CORRECTION! Our trip was from Vienna to Krakow. But still a nightmare experience at the time that we laugh about now.

Posted by
14575 posts

@ Christine...The Global Pass does not include Poland. You need a separate ticket to cover you from the border to Krakow. The Global Pass is not valid in Poland. Knowing that I would have gone a different ticket counter.

Posted by
1525 posts

We did this train in reverse in July, 2010. At least at that time, it was impossible to buy tickets from the US ahead of time. So on our arrival in Krakow, 2 1/2 days before we needed the tickets to Prague, we bought them at the train station. No problem. I got the impression that they rarely sell out. FYI it was hot that summer & the train had no AC, so we had to keep the window wide open all night, making it loud & tough to sleep.

Posted by
14575 posts

Obviously, you were right in pointing that out to the clerk who only wanted to sell you a reservation when you wanted the ticket as well, since as you knew that the Pass invalid in Poland. It's strange that this clerk refused you this ticket sale. I'll keep this in mind the next time I am in Poland. My general rule is if you know something re: a Pass, tickets, etc. to be right and you're told otherwise by a clerk, I would ask another clerk or customer service, if there is one.

Posted by
1 posts

We just bought 2 tickets on the overnight train from Prague to Krakow at this site, https://www.cd.cz/eshop/default.aspx
which was recommended to us by a friend who lives in Prague. There is a toggle to convert to English (if the site comes up in Czech). We paid 1284 Kc (49 Euros) per ticket for a "double berth" - -I'm not actually sure if that means we paid a little extra to have a third berth empty (or not). We received a PDF with a barcode that can be used to get our tickets at the train station (with any luck!)