Please sign in to post.

Night train from Munich to Florence

We are travelling with our Senior daughters from Texas to Europe, and the night train schedule is not out yet for spring break. We are worried! Any suggestions?

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi Cheryl. I'm seeing it on trenitalia.com, for instance for April 17. Leaves Muenchen 21:03 arrive Firenze 6:18am. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
16321 posts

The City Night Line leaves Muich at 21:03 and gets in to Florence early the next morning. It is a true night train with no changes on the way. You can see the schedule and buy tickets on Bahn.de. Look for 4-person compartments.

Posted by
4407 posts

FWIW, the bahn.com site is acting a little squirrly today...maybe there's some website work being done. Give it a day or two... I was seeing complete skeds and pricing for a full 3 months as of a few days ago, and I was looking at this very route. Have you read the posts on night trains?!? Just askin'...The posts here are correct, so don't worry. Although, I'd strongly suggest a day train...;-) Ugh.

Posted by
146 posts

Cheryl, Go to the bahn.de website. If it's in German, click on the German flag at the top and click on U.S.A flag to put it in english. Under information and booking, put in your beginning and ending cities. (München Hbf, Firenze S.M.N.), then the date of travel. I put in April 3rd, 2013, as an example. You will see the night train, (CNL), leaving at 21:03 and getting in to Florence at 6:15. It comes up Day/Month,Year. 03/04/2013. Click on "check availability". The next part gets tricky, if you have railpasses, enter everyone's age, hit enter, then re-click on "check availibilty" for the CNL train. It will show the prices for the different type couchettes, (Berths), or sleeper compartments. Choose the one you want, but don't click on the red "Check and Book" button, but instead click on the black typed sentence to the left, that says, "Book only extra charge." That will take you to another page, to enter which type of rail passes you have, to get your discount. If you have passes, tick the dot that say's "Pass Offer". You will now see the smaller upcharges for the compartments you wish. Pick the price you wish, and book it. If you need any more help, just send me a PM, and I will walk you through it. And please don't let anyone talk you out of the night trains! They are fun with a group, drinking, planning, eating... The only night trains I didn't like were the London-Scotland routes. If you have the money, you can get two person sleepers side by side. The deluxe sleepers are really nice, with sink, shower, nice breakfast! Have fun. Crashman

Posted by
8700 posts

The farthest out you can book on bahn.de is 92 days in advance. As of a moment ago I could have booked tickets for 15 April.