Please sign in to post.

Night Train

We are planing a trip that will take us to Salzburg and then to Vienna. From Vienna we want to take a night train to Rome. As I have never travled by train before is this a good idea and if so what kind of ticket do I get so I have a sleeping room for just my wife and myself? Not being rude just getting to old to sleep with one eye open.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you book several months in advance on the Austrian Rail site, you can get a discount fare of €89.00 for a bed in a two-person sleeper. The standard fare is €159.00. Book ASAP. Popular night trains sell out weeks in advance and sleeping compartments go faster than couchettes.

Posted by
4535 posts

You'll need to book way in advance to get a private compartment. Tickets are normally released 90 days in advance, so try soon after that. I certainly understand not wanting to share with a packed courchette of strangers, but there would be no reason to be suspicious of your bunk-mates. And anyway, almost everyone will have one or both eyes open all night as it is very hard to actually get any sleep. You might be better off just flying.