Please sign in to post.

Night Train

Hi, I know that night train will use one day from my Rail Pass. I have this situation where, in one day, I will need to use the train from Salzburg to Munich (Probably around 5pm) and from Munich I will use the night train to Berlin (Probably around 11pm). So, how many days will this consume; Will it be one separate day consumed by the Salzburg-Munich part and one more day for the Munich-Berlin part? So altogether, it will be 2 days in total used in my pass. OR, will it use only one day in my pass? Jesse

Posted by
19240 posts

"Will it be one separate day consumed by the Salzburg-Munich part and one more day for the Munich-Berlin part? So altogether, it will be 2 days in total used in my pass." It will use 2 days of your pass. Only the night train itself, because to spans a night, uses only one day of you pass, as long as you board it after 7 PM and stay on it until 4 AM (?) the next morning. However, look into using regional trains and a Bayern-Ticket (€21 for one person) for Salzburg to Munich. The other alternative - day trains. You can go by express train (IC/EC/RJ) to Munich and ICE to Berlin in just over eight hours and only use one day of your pass.

Posted by
14800 posts

Jessie, The way you have it laid out, taking the Salzburg- Munich ca. 1700 and then Munich-Berlin at 2300, will use up 2 Pass days, certainly not worth it, especially the first leg. I would not do it that way. There are 2 ways: buy a point to point for Salzburg-Munich, then at 2210 take the CNL direct to Berlin, OR, buy a p to p from Salzburg to Linz, costs a bit less than that to Munich, then take Linz-Berlin at 2155. But you have to transfer at Hannover at ca 0600....this suggestion is if you want to depart earlier for Berlin without having to return to Germany first. Also, from Hannover-Berlin Hbf is the same Pass day. I'll be taking the same route night this summer using a Pass.