Please sign in to post.

Night Train

Is there a Night Train with Private sleeper car service (Is that First class?) for 2 that travels from Basil to Venice- one way. i am looking for transportation for my wife and me in June 2011---if so, how soon do or can I book and with whom?
dave masterson

Posted by
9109 posts

There is no direct night train between Basel and Venice. There is a direct daytime train at 7:03am that arrives in Venice 8 hours later. Check schedules and book tickets at the Swiss Rail site: http://rail.ch

Posted by
4535 posts

You might look into a night train from somewhere near to Basil like Geneva or in Germany. If you find one, then know that private sleeper cabins are very limited (major premium for sure) so they'd fill up very quickly once tickets are made available. Sleepers with 4-6 bunks are more common and available.

Posted by
19240 posts

If you are really set on arriving the next morning on a night train, there are connections from Basel Bad Bahnhof, which is a German Rail station inside Basel, Switzerland, a couple of miles from Basel SBB. These connections go from Basel to Munich, then go overnight over Brenner pass to Venice. They take 15 hours but get you into Venice the next morning and discounted fares (from Basel to Venice) start at €119 for one person in an economy double, €159 in a deluxe double (w/ WC). Discounted seats on this train (€43 up) often sell out as soon as they become available. You can find schedules and fares on the German Rail website. Put in "Basel Bad Bf" and "Venise" with "Munich" as a stopover. Connections depart Basel around 15:00 and get into Venice at 6:38.