Please sign in to post.

NICE TO ROME

I'm looking for the most economical way to get from Nice to Rome on November 1st. The Riviera Night Train was my first choice, but they discontinued that route, I guess. Blu Express was my next best bet, however it looks like they don't fly on that day! :( I'm up for whatever as look as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. Any ideas out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
6898 posts

I'm sure that you understand that as you run out of options, the cost increases. I was looking at the Air Berlin site and it looks like they too have a flight from Nice to Rome via Dusseldorf. However, you can't book beyond 10/31 at this time. The prices on 10/31 didn't look all that great either.

Next, I can see bus service from the Nice Place Massena bus stop to Genoa. If still running, the service is offered by Cars Phoceens but I can't find a website on them. It's supposed to be a 2.5hr. trip. From Genoa, you could easily get a train to Rome.

At this time, Trenitalia seems to be down for pricing. I can see 10-hr runs to Rome but I can't get to the pricing.

Posted by
8700 posts

Your fastest option, so long as you'll be traveling on a weekday, is to leave Nice on a regional train at 05:25, change in Ventimiglia, and take an ICPlus train to Rome, arriving at Ostiense at 14:00 and Termini at 14:14. (The 05:25 train doesn't run on weekends.) Strangely, while that train is listed on both the Trenitalia and Bahn timetables, it is missing from the SNCF timetables. At any rate, the fare for that leg would be minimal. The standard 2nd class fare for Ventimiglia-Rome is €45.50.

Posted by
26 posts

November 1st falls on a Saturday and there seems to be a lull in options for that day for some reason... do people not need to get to Rome on Saturday? :) We really wanted to minimize the travel time and a flight would be the fastest option I would think, but the flights I've been seeing on your basic search engines are running a ridiuclous rate and I was hoping somebody had a magic wand out there. So, if you do have one please wave it my way!!! Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

Saturday is a normal operating day. It's Sunday that has the reduced schedule. Tim's idea is great. A regional train to Ventimiglia takes less than an hour and won't cost more than 5Euro. At Ventimiglia, you catch a train to Rome. Depending on which run you select, the fares could be as high as 51.50Euro. The limited AMIICA fare (20% discount) is offered on some of the runs.

Here's the problem. If you are looking to book on the Trenitalia site, you're too early. They won't sell you a ticket for 11/1. Norm is also correct. I'm looking at the site and the prices and opportunities to buy appear within 60 days but not beyond. Even Raileurope comes up with a message that they will not book these trains more than 60 days out.

So what do you consider inexpensive or "an arm and a leg"? We've shown you a way to get from Nice to Rome for under 60Euro. That's not bad for the distance. Next, you won't be able to book the ticket until 9/2. Relax, you won't have trouble getting the tickets in early September.

Posted by
4555 posts

Interestingly enough, SNCF shows trains on 1 November from Nice to Menton-Garavan, the port just east of Menton, and hard on the Italian border. I can't believe it wouldn't continue on to Ventimiglia. But if it doesn't, Ventimiglia train station is only about 5 miles away....I guess you could cab it, then pick up the train to Rome as per the Trenitalia schedule. I'm surprised Trenitalia would list the run so far out, since it's usually only good for 60 to 90 days out, depending on which trains you're taking. Remember as well that November 1st is All Saints Day, a holiday in Italy, so service may be less frequent. Unfortunately, low-cost air links into Nice are few and far between. You're far enough out yet that you won't have to worry about it until early August, when you get into the 90 day window.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for the ideas and yes the 70 euro or less would be quite reasonable.. I guess I just didn't want to spend a day on a train. The night train was more enticing and the quick one hour flight was definately what we wanted to do...guess we will just have to suck it up and go with what is available and enjoy the ride. I do appreciate all of the input from everybody...you are too kind. Anybody brilliant suggestions are kindly accepted!

Posted by
6898 posts

Sharon, it is possible that you are not out of luck for a train in the night. There is a train run that leaves Nice Ville at 18:05 and arrives in Rome at 5:48. There is a train change three hours into the run at Genoa. The second train is a night train with sleepers. The fare for the run plus being in a 6-person couchette is 55Euro. The sleeper train departs just before midnight so you only get 6.0hrs in the sleeper. But, 55Euro isn't bad either. Make sure that if you are going to sleep that you are inside a locked compartment. As mentioned above, you will still have to wait until September 2 to book for 11/1.

CLICK HERE to see the run.

Posted by
26 posts

Larry, thanks for the help!! You are awesome. What about train to Genoa and then a flight out of there on Air One? Ever heard of that airline. Stumbled on it and was wondering if somebody might give me input on that idea. Sometimes it just helps to have help.. Thanks!!!!

Posted by
8293 posts

Sharon, AirOne is owned by Lufthansa. We used AirOne to fly from Rome to Catania in October 2006. Left on time, arrived on time, pleasant cabin crew, and the fare was $200 return each.

Posted by
26 posts

Larry, I went to the Genoa's airport's website and found the AirOne (www.flyairone.it) and they say they have some flights out of there to Rome for that day....?? Wonder if that might just be too much juggling around.... train from Nice to Genoa and then going from the train station to the airport and getting the connection to Rome might be a handful for these novice European travelers... LOL.....But we are willing to giver 'er a try......

Posted by
6898 posts

The Air One flight doesn't look bad. 95Euro for the 1hr. flight looks good. Your stepping up in cost in trade for the 6.5hr train ride (in the night) for about 40-45 Euro. It's certainly your choice.

Posted by
4555 posts

As well, don't forget to add in the cost of an extra night in either Genoa or Rome....the night you would have spent on the train. Say you spend 5-6 hours on a train from Genoa to Rome (daylight trains are around 5 1/2 hours). In Genoa, you'll have to get to the airport (another expense) at least an hour before flight time....say 90 minutes from Genoa to the airport to get there an hour ahead. Then, it's a 60 minute flight. Then it's another 30 minutes from Fiumicino airport to Termini station in the downtown (and another 10-Euro expense...and providing you don't have to wait for your luggage ;)) So you're saving maybe two hours, and incurring more changes and costs added to the 95 Euro flight charge.

Posted by
26 posts

Yeah, it's sounding like just getting on the train might be the way to go.....thanks for giving me the insight! Sounds like a lot of trouble and expense to gain a couple of hours, huh? If anybody else has anything to add I'm still listening!!

Posted by
272 posts

didn't read all the replies so not sure if this was mentioned.......
i did the reverse trip (Rome to Nice) a few years ago. i flew. Think I went through Geneva or Zurich. Check the budget airlines. Two sites I have success with:
flybudget.com
whichbudget.com