Please sign in to post.

Nice to Paris

Is taking the train from Nice to pairs worth it?? Or should we skip the train and fly to Paris?? Someone told me the train is beautiful and great experience, but I only have two days in Paris, so wondering if it is worth it?

Posted by
10556 posts

It's 6 hours center of Nice to center of Paris by train.
It's 30 minutes out to the Nice airport, check in 1-2 hours early, a one hour flight, deplane, and another hour to get into the middle of Paris from either airport. So the minimum would be four hours if you fly. You aren't saving much time flying.

Posted by
4132 posts

Factor in time getting to and from the airport, getting through security, waiting on the runway etc. and there isn't a whole lot of difference. Flying might be a little quicker on average.

Posted by
11507 posts

Flying is slightly faster, so I would go with cheapest option you find ( I would only fly into Orly or Charles de Gaulle so, I would not use Ryanair) We took train from Paris to Nice last summer, frankly , the scenery was only beautiful or interesting for last 1-2 hours or so.. so for you it would be for first 1-2 hours. The middle of France is not particularily scenic to me.. the trains don't get close enough to any little towns etc. you just see some roof tops far in the distance across mostly flat farm land.

Posted by
4085 posts

The full TGV experience cannot be experienced for the full route since the southern part of the tracks do not allow for maxiumum "vitesse". An upgraded, dedicated route has been promised.
I would need a strong reason to cut a short Paris visit even shorter, and one does not suggest itself in Nice.

Posted by
1175 posts

We really enjoy the hassle-free train rides across Europe and Nice to Paris on the high-speed TGV is delightful. We pack a picnic and some liquid refreshment (try THAT on a plane)to enjoy along the way. First class tickets go on sale 120 days prior to travel and are just a bit more than 2nd class. The cheap tickets go quickly and increase in price as the travel date approaches. Cheap 1st class tickets (ask for the upper deck)on a TGV into Paris is an experience not to be missed. Nothing like a sip of a good Burgandy to wash down a croque monseiur and then get lulled to sleep by the gentle rocking of the train car.....

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks! What's the best way to book french rail? We would probably go first class.

Posted by
1359 posts

www.idtgv.com is your best option as they get fabulous sale prices. I did this last summer, but from Paris to Nice and I LOOOOOVED the experience. My eyes were glued to my window. Nothing beats leaving from the center of town and arriving in the center of another. The only kink in the voyage was when a bum came in our car in Aix-en-Provence, smoked a cigarette, and took his shirt off. He asked me for a handkerchief and then got off in Cannes. Yuck! LOL

Posted by
4 posts

My wife and I take the train when we can. Security is a hassle and the cheaper airlines (Ryanair and Easyjet) constantly change their schedules (at least in our experience). The great thing about train travel is that it is walk on/walk off and much more comfortable. One thing to keep in mind is that you can save money on train tickets if you purchase in advance the further from your departure date, the less expensive the tickets. The SNCF site will allow you to purchase tickets three months in advance for significant savings. Bon voyage.

Posted by
11507 posts

idTGV is cheapest if purchased well in advance . We paid 40 euros for 1st class last summer.If however you wait prices can be a lot higher.