Please sign in to post.

new driving laws in denmark from 1.october.2010

from 1.october 2010 if you get caught speeding by the police and drive 100 percent more than the signs say you will loose your driving licence on the spot. f.ex. drive 75-100 km pr.hr instead of the lawful 50 your licence will be taken from you by the police..

Posted by
14950 posts

Marilyn....they won't take your U.S. drivers license. They have no authority to do so. And if they do, all you have to do when you get home is say you lost it and get another one.

Posted by
9099 posts

Frank is saying that the Danish Police are powerless to revoke anyone's US issued drivers license. The Danish police obviously do have the authority fine, imprison, or deport anyone violating it's laws.

Posted by
2349 posts

But Frank II, you can be grounded in Denmark. No friends over, no tv, no computer. Early bedtime, too. That'll teach you.

Posted by
32715 posts

Frank II, are you saying that Danish police are powerless to enforce their laws within their borders if they stop an American?

Posted by
14950 posts

Nigel....what Michael said is what I would have said...but maybe not as eloquently. BTW, I got a very nasty PM from the OP on how speed kills and refusing to show a license is horrible and how she witnessed people getting killed. You get all kinds here.

Posted by
337 posts

I don't know about Danish law, but here in Germany it works like this: Like Frank II said, they can not take the US drivers license physically away from you. What they do instead is to proclaim your drivers license invalid for Germany and put your license on a black list.

Posted by
165 posts

If your that much over the speed limit you deserve to have your licence revoked, fined and maybe jail time.

Posted by
265 posts

Not to challenge your math skills, but anyway: 100% over the speed limit means double speed. That means that your licence is revoked if you go more than 100 km/h in a 50 km/h zone. Anyway, no country can revoke a licence from a person living outside the country. They can only suspend your driving rights within the actual country. A few countries have bilateral agreements however, so that violations in one country can have effect on driving privileges in the home country, but this is not the norm.

Posted by
70 posts

And what would happen in Denmark is exactly the same thing as Mark describes would happen in Germany: If you drive insanely, you will get your driving privileges revoked within the country. They will put a note in the computer saying thet your driving privileges have been revoked for xx years.

Posted by
2829 posts

Just to clarify: there is, indeed, a protocol to have licenses issued in one EU country cancelled, revoked or with points deducted for fines issued in other country.

Posted by
14950 posts

But that's only in the EU. It has no effect on the U.S. or Canada.

Posted by
9363 posts

"Within the EU" is not the same as an EU country revoking a US license, so that clarifies nothing.

Posted by
32715 posts

I haven't lived in the US for several years. Is there now a US license? When I lived there it was issued by the individual states.

Posted by
14950 posts

It's still the individual states but I used U.S. as a generic term encompassing all drivers licenses within this country. It's a lot easier than listing 51+ individual licenses.