Please sign in to post.

New air connections between US and Europe in 2014

Why don't we make this a thread in which we collect all new air connection information for 2014 so people can search for affordable flights more easily, more effectively?

I'll start: Lufthansa offer nonstop service from Montreal to Frankfurt (and onwards) from May, Mexico-City to Munich nonstop (in addition to their Frankfurt serivces) from April and Toronto to Munich nonstop from June.

Air Berlin are upgrading their JFK to Berlin nonstops to from May to 10 per week, which allows for convenient connections at the rather small Berlin Tegel airport. One will be able to buy tickets from the US via JFK-TXL to Bucharest, Kaliningrad, Graz and Salzburg - in addition to the more obvious ones.

Posted by
3098 posts

British Airways has added an additional non-stop Seattle to London 3 or 4 days a week. It leaves Seattle earlier than the regular BA48 flight which departs around 6:45 pm. The extra flight arrives at Heathrow around 8 am, making it easier to connect to onward flights.

Posted by
8293 posts

Norwegian Air Shuttle is beginning flights from London Gatwick to NYC and LA. Very low prices at the moment.

Posted by
1034 posts

Can't resist a minor quibble about the mismatch between your title and your content - Montreal, Mexico City, and Montreal are in North America but not in the U.S. Sorry, pedantic but important to us Canadians. What I really wanted to say is that last year Air Berlin flew to/from Vancouver, but I can't see any flights to YVR now. Does anyone know if that is just a winter change or a permanent change? I was hoping to fly to Berlin from YVR next summer.

Posted by
2527 posts

Emirates JFK-MXP which are by far the cheapest non-stop flights found on Kayak for random dates searched in July 2014.

Posted by
2779 posts

This may not have so much of an influence on price as on convenience, especially for folks based in the Southwest:

United is going to start a daily nonstop between Houston and Munich on April 25th, 2014. The flight will be operated by Boeing 767-400 aircraft.

Posted by
86 posts

Great news for Canadians-Westjet is starting to fly to Dublin in the late spring of 2014. The bad news- the planes have to stop in St. John's to refuel. Because of that though the prices are pretty great right now. Must also connect through Toronto...

Posted by
4044 posts

Westjet's experiment in long-distance flying, on short-distance aircraft, will have difficulty competing with non-stops to Ireland from Toronto announced by Aer Lingus (and, I believe, at least one other carrier.)

Posted by
2779 posts

Between 26 June and 11 September 2014 CONDOR will add nonstop flights from MSP to FRA on Mondays and Thursdays. Depature in MSP is in the evening, arrival in Frankfurt in the late AM. The return flights depart in Frankfurt in the early PM and arrive at MSP in the mid-PM local time. Sounds acceptable. Flights are operated on B767-300 aircraft.

Posted by
11507 posts

I was just looking at the Westjet flights to Dublin yesterday.. I can fly from Vancouver to Toronto and then to Dublin,, without stopping in Newfoundland. Some flights connect through Newfoundland, but not all.

Premium economy on Westjet is cheaper then Club class( which is simply prem on most airlines ) on AirTransat. And of course cheaper then prem ec on Air Canada.

Posted by
188 posts

There are non-stops from Tampa to London (BA) as well as Tampa to Zurich (Eidelweiss). For non-European non stops we also have direct flights to Panama now on Copa.

Posted by
980 posts

British Airways has added a direct Austin, TX to London Heathrow flight starting in early 2014.

Posted by
3098 posts

The British Airways direct flight to Austin will be a 787!

Posted by
32201 posts

Regarding the WestJet flights to Dublin, my information is the same as posted by George. It's not necessary to change planes, but the aircraft MUST stop for refueling in St. Johns prior to the hop across the pond. I'd be a bit nervous about making that trip in a 737, although it's probably no longer over water than their Vancouver-Hawaii flights.

Another new flight offering is Air Canada Rouge, which will be introducing more new flights to Europe this year from either Toronto or Montreal. Some examples of their flight choices from Toronto are Edinburgh (1 July 2013), Manchester (26 June 2014), Dublin (1 May 2014), Venice (1 July 2013), Athens (1 July 2013), Barcelona (8 May 2014) and Lisbon (21 June 2014).

Air Transat also appears to be marketing more aggressively now. I haven't checked lately to see if they're offering any new routes. They've recently done a major renovation of their aircraft interiors, and they offer Premium Economy which I've found provides more comfortable seating.

There seem to be a lot of changes occurring in the air travel industry these days, so I'm sure there will be more offerings in future.

Posted by
4044 posts

KEN: Dublin-St. John's is a shorter flight than Westjet's routine runs from Toronto to Vancouver. Using Newfoundland-Labrador as a stepping-stone across the North Atlantic dates back to the days of propeller aircraft. But who wants to go back to those days? The price will have to be a deep discount to compete against non-stops from the other airlines.

Posted by
252 posts

In 2014, Norwegian will start having direct flights from LAX to: Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. Yay!

Posted by
32201 posts

@Southam,

I certainly remember "the old days" when Gander used to be a major stop on flights from Europe. I didn't bother to check the distances, but I suppose the part that causes apprehension is the fact that it's mostly over water, as opposed to their trips across Canada.

The flight distance from St. John's to Dublin appears to be about 3300 kM, and flight time about 4.5 hours. OTOH, the flight distance from Vancouver to Honolulu appears to be about 4357 kM and flight time about 6 hours. I have made that flight in smaller aircraft, so I'm sure I could manage the one from St. Johns to Dublin. Perhaps a stop in St. John's for a day or two would be nice on the way to Europe? I'm not sure the cost would be much cheaper when all is considered though. It's much simpler for me just to board a plane in Calgary and arrive in Frankfurt 9 hours later.

Cheers!

Posted by
4044 posts

Jan Morris, a revered travel writer who specialized in cities, thought St. John's was the most interesting in the world. I am ashamed to say NL is the one province I have not visited. Its notorious half-hour time zone designation indicates just how far east in the Atlantic it is.

Posted by
2829 posts

Flights between New Foundland and Ireland can also divert to two airports on the coasts of Greenland or to Reykjavik if need arises.