Please sign in to post.

National Strike October 20 2023

October 20, 2023 is scheduled to be a national strike day for all public and private sectors (https://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/calendario-scioperi). Plan was to go from Venice to Florence that day. Train tickets are still being sold. So I'm confused as to what to do! If it's public and private sectors, then Italo trains will also be on strike. Can anyone clarify if that is correct and Italo will be on strike? (I did contact them and their answer was suitably vague.) Suggestions as to what to do? Thank-you. P.S. I'm pretty sure I'm reading the strike calendar correctly, but I may have lost something in the translation!

Posted by
484 posts

I’m traveling that day too, from Varenna to Milan to Venice. It is worrisome, but I’ve been told it may be resolved between now and then, so for now my plan is to worry about it if I need to next month.

Posted by
4750 posts

Maybe look into Go Opti, shared van service from Milan to Venice. We used them precovid, and the drivers are dependable, professional, on-time, with great English. Maybe if there's a train strike they would do runs from Varenna?
After our May trip from Varenna to Milan, having to stand the entire one- hour trip on that regional train, we decided we would use a private service if we made that trip again. We have used that Varenna to Milan train twice, and it's has been SRO each time. There's lots of luggage and strollers, and I thought I'd trip and fall over a few times as the train lurched. As it's a regional train, no seat reservations are possible.
Good luck !

Posted by
5610 posts

A few years ago, we were in Florence and our inn keeper told us that there was a strike scheduled for the following day. I believe she said it included all trains and buses. Our plans were to go to Siena that day. She said to go check the bus station in the am. The next morning trains and buses were running as usual. My suggestion is to have a plan B, but don't discount the possibility that the strike won't occur.

Posted by
23281 posts

I don't know how many Italian train strikes I have survived. It is a bunch. This is a case of lots of smoke, little fire. The one time we had to deal with a strike some trains were running but not the full schedule. A little inconvenient. Truthfully I would not count on the strike happening. Hay, i t is Italy.

Posted by
11334 posts

This recent discussion is helpful to your situation, I think.

In my experience, the high speed trains are rarely involved in strikes.

Posted by
6 posts

All of your posts, as well as the link suggested, have been helpful. I was totally stressing abt having to change two sets of accommodations, etc. Now I think I'll just let it ride and hope that it works out!