Please sign in to post.

Munich to Prague

My boyfriend and I are travelling fro Munich to Prague on the 16th November 2012. We want to go by train, and are looking for the cheapest options. We would also like to know whether you can travel to Prague on the Bayern Ticket, or whether you would have to stop at the border and purchase a new ticket? If so, would we not have to wait ages for the next train? I have seen some forums that say that one can use the Bayern ticket to Prague, and other forums say that you cannot. I have tried to look for an e-mail address on the Bayern website, but there is none. Does anyone have any advice/can anyone shed some light on this matter? Thank you in advance!

Posted by
1568 posts

We bought both at the Munich train station. Don't forget the return tickets.

Posted by
32700 posts

Nope - The Bayern Ticket is valid within Bayern. Bavaria in German is Bayern. It is a ticket valid throughout the Land (German) or State (English) of Bayern, up to the borders. Prague, as you say, is in the country of the Czech Republic and you need a Czech ticket there. I don't mean to over simplify it as you appear to already live in Munich, but other readers may not understand the concept of the Laender.

Posted by
19091 posts

Except for trains to a few "border" stations (Ulm, Kufstein, Salzburg), you can NOT use a Bayern-Ticket outside of Bavaria (Bayern is Bavaria in German). There is, however, a Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket (1st P 25€, 4,50€ ea added up to 5, total) that is like a Bayern-Ticket, but includes part of the Czech-Republic along the border, including Pilsen, which you will pass through on your way to Prague. The ticket from Pilsen to Prague costs about 5-6 €. In May I saw people buying tickets from the conductor on the train. As you might already know, there are two direct trains daily from Munich Hbf to Prague and another with a dedicated change in Schwandorf, all run by ALX. There is also a direct express Bahn bus from Munich to Prague. It's considered an "express train", so the Bayern-Ticket is not valid on it, but you can get discounted, advance purchase Sparpreis tickets online for it.

Posted by
18 posts

Dear all, thank you so much for your amazing help and quick responses! JB: Do you remember how much a single trip cost you? We wont need a return as we are going back via Salzburg. This sounds like an attractive option as I'd prefer to have tickets organized before we leave. Lee: Your option also sounds good, but would we have any assurance that we wouldn't be fined for not having tickets? I am a little nervous about doing things that way, although in terms of money saving it sounds excellent! Thanks again:)

Posted by
19091 posts

I just looked at the Bahn website, and right now, for Nov 16, you can get two tickets for the 9:45 Bahn bus to Prag for 58€ (29€ ea). If you are sure that's what you want to do, buy them now, the price goes up as the lowest priced tickets sell out, but understand, these are valid only for that bus (date and time). If you use the train and the Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket, you can ask the conductor on the train before you get to Pilsen if you can purchase the ticket from Pilsen to Prag from him. If not, get off in Pilsen and buy the ticket at the station. There should be a regional train from Pilsen to Prag in about an hour. It won't be as nice as the ALX train, but it will get you there. Alternatively, there is a connection at 9:24 to Bayerisch Eisenstein, with a change at Plattling. At Bayerisch Eisenstein you'll have over an hour to buy your ticket to Prag at the ticket counter on the Czech side of the station. You could either use a straight Bayern-Ticket to Bayerisch Eisenstein and buy a ticket there to Prag for about 11€/adult, or use the Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket all the way to Pilsen but buy the ticket from Pilsen to Prag in Bayerisch Eisenstein.

Posted by
8700 posts

Your fastest route is the non-stop express bus. If you book today on the German Rail site, you can get a Europa-Spezial Tschechien discount fare of €29.00. I see that Lee and I were posting at the same time. You can get the same fare on the 07:50 bus, the 12:45 bus, and the 15:45 bus.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you very much everyone! I successfully booked that bus trip. :)