Please sign in to post.

Munich to berchtesgaden

We are planning a day trip from munich to berchtesgaden on may 29. We are planning on doing the eagles nest historical tour, which starts at 1:15 and lasts four hours. I have been on the DB Bahn site, trying to figure out how to get us there and back, but am very confused. I think there is a regional express, transferring in freislassing...leaving at 9:14 and arriving at 12:37. Is that a Bayern ticket? Is there any way to leave a bit earlier so we could have lunch? I read on an old post that if we bought a 3zone MVV ticket also, we could take an earlier train. I have no idea what that means. Another alternative is to take a eurocity at 8:27 and it arrives at 11:00, but i think it goes to salzburg and then you take a bus. Of course, then we also have to worry about getting back at a reasonable time too. Help would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
37 posts

Hi Carla, Edited to remove wrong information. Well, I am from the Lehigh Valley.

Posted by
19118 posts

You can't use a Bayern-Ticket until after 9 AM on workdays, but that doesn't mean that you can't start traveling before 9 AM; you just have to have another ticket to cover your travel before 9. In some cases, there is a train going your way that leaves Munich Hbf (or wherever you can catch it) before 9, but leaves a station still within the Munich metro district (MVV) after 9, when you can start using the Bayern-Ticket. Then you just buy a ticket to that station (or a day pass for that zone if cheaper) and use it before 9, then use the Bayern-Ticket after that. That used to be the case for an RE to Salzburg, that left Munich Hbf before 9, but arrived at Grafing Bhf, still within the MVV, after 9, but I don't see that currently. The alternative today is apparently a connection leaving Munich Ostbahnhof at 8:17 going through Markt Schwaben (still in MVV), changing at Mühldorf and Freilassing, arriving in Berchtesgaden at 11:37. If you can walk to München Ost, buy a Bahn ticket from München Ost to Schwindegg, the first station after 9 am, for 11,40/adult and use the Bayern-Ticket after that, for the rest of the day. If you need to use MVV transport to Ost, buy an MVV ticket to Markt Schwaben (5,20) and a Bahn ticket from Markt Schwaben to Schwindegg for 7,70 (12,90€/adult, total), plus the Bayern-Ticket for the rest of the trip.

Posted by
19118 posts

If you put in Munich to Berchtesgaden on the Bahn website, it will try to route you through Salzburg Hbf and from there via a bus (RVO 840) to Berchtesgaden Hbf/ZOB. The fare they show only includes Munich Hbf to Salzburg Hbf, and the bus fare is "... not included in the ticket price". I took that bus from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden last May, and the fare was 4,90€ one way for an adult. Unless you know exactly where you are going, I don't think that 6 minutes is enough time to catch the bus. The bus stop is not directly in front of the Bahnhof (Südtiroler Platz). It's on Englebert-Weiß-Weg, which is between the big buildings to the right of the Platz, beyond the Forum. You can "force" the Bahn to offer a Savings Fare ticket starting at 19€/ adult (29€ for two) for that EC leaving Munich at 8:27 and the train from Freilassing to Berchtesgaden (arriving at 11:37). Use the stopover function and put in "Freilassing" as the stopover. Then go down to "Means of transport" and uncheck the bus from the list of means for Freilassing to Berchtesgaden.

Posted by
12 posts

Rob, thanks for your help anyway! The hockey arena is being built in downtown allentown. It is supposed to revitalize the city. Let's hope so. Lee, i tried to do what you suggested, but it seems to come up with a total round trip for two people of either 65e or 82e depending on our return time. Am i doing it right? I guess i might just pack a lunch instead and take the regional express at 9:14 arriving at 12:30 and only costing 29e for both of us, roundtrip...if i am understanding the site correctly. Am i? Also, do i make seat reservations too?
Thanks again.

Posted by
19118 posts

The prices I quoted were for one way, not round trip. Those one way fares start at 29€ for two, but the price goes up as the lowest priced tickets sell out. In the case of May 29, the lowest price tickets for Munich to Berchtesgaden seem to be gone. All I find is 41€. However, for just Munich to Freilassing, via the 8:27 EC, there are still tickets for 29€ for two adults. If you also buy a Bayern-Ticket at 26€ for two adults, it will work for the train, BLB S4, from Freilassing to Berchtesgaden and most of the buses in Berchtesgaden. It will also work for your trip back from Berchtesgaden in the evening on regional trains. Round trip would cost you 55€, total, and you could get to B'gaden by 11:37. You can also buy seat reservations, if you want them, for 4€ each on the EC, either along with the Savings Fare ticket or in Munich before you leave. The other trains are all regional ones - not reservable. With a Savings Fare ticket, the 8:27 EC is train specific. The ticket is only valid on that train. With the Bayern-Ticket, what trains you use coming back are open, as long as they are regional ones.

Posted by
12 posts

So you are suggesting i purchase two one-way tickets from munich to freissling for 29e. Then use a bayern ticket for the rest of the trip and the total return trip. Do i have that right? What is BLBS4?
if i buy a bayern ticket, i just do that on may 29 at the station, and not worry about reserving a particular train? Again, thanks for the hand holding.

Posted by
19118 posts

Technically, it's a one way (Savings Fare) ticket for two for 29€ (19€ for the first person, 10€ more for the second person). The Bayern-Ticket works for the rest of the day, to and from Berchtesgaden, only regional trains, and a regional train (RE) back to Munich. The regional train takes about a half hour longer , but you can't beat the price. BLB S4 is the train to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg Hbf, an S-Bahn (S4) from Salzburg to Freilassing, and BLB (Berchtesgadenerlandbahn) to Berchtesgaden. The Bayern-Ticket is only valid on regional trains, and regional trains cannot be reserved. It's only limited by how many people they can cram on board, although, really, I have only seen trains SRO once or twice. Usually, there is plenty of room. On May 29, purchase your Bayern-Ticket from an automat. They are not hard to figuer out (will display in English), and it cost 2€ more from a ticket counter.

Posted by
12 posts

Wow! It is finally making sense. Thank you so much!!