Please sign in to post.

Morocco

I know this is primarily a European website but I am assuming many of the travel enthusiasts also branch out. A group of us are going to a cooking school in Marrakech Morocco in October. The founder of the school who has travelled to Morocco for 10 years knows certain routes very well and has connections to guides. However she has never been to Chefchaouen which is in the north at the foothills of the mountains. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting there? We will have a guide driving us in a van for most of the trip but I don't know if we can get him to go that far north. Does anyone have experience with bus or train travel? Should we hire a guide or a cab? Any insight anyone can provided would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
6788 posts

Catherine, you need to check your map (or your spelling). Chefchaouen is a long way from Marrakesh (its actually quite close to the coastal "border towns" that most tourists experience as their "day trip to Morocco"). I'm curious why you would want to go to Chefchaouen - for most people, it's the first taste of "the real Morocco" they can get as they (happily) put the entry ports behind them. But you're going to be in Marrakesh (the real thing). Unless you have some compelling reason to head "back" to Chefchaouen, I'd strongly suggest going in a different direction. Consider taking the train to Meknes and then Fes (trains are great). Meknes is an old walled city, and Fes is the most intact medieval city in the Arab world (maybe all of the world) - well worth seeing. I'd also recommend a trip over the High Atlas Mountains (just south of Marrakesh), to Air Benhaddou (an ancient mid-brick "city" on the ancient caravan routes across the Sahara). A pretty easy drive from Marrakesh. If you have more time, consider going further south to experience one of the "grand ergs" (sand seas) on the edge of the Sahara proper. Morocco is great - you will have a fabulous time.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks David. I want to go to Chefchaouen because it appears to be one of the least touristy of the Moroccan cities. Also I have a connection through the Washington State Sister Cities. They are a Sister City to Issaquah and another member on that committee who is Moroccan has offered to introduce us to the mayor. It seems like a good way to actually meet the people. I love to travel to places where there is a personal connection because getting to know the culture is the most interesting to me. Thanks for the information. I still really want to go to Chef but the logistics may take it out of the running.