Please sign in to post.

Milan to Varenna

I've been trying to find trains from Milano Centrale to Varenna-Esino using http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html. I'd like to travel on June 11, but even for the entire week, my search results end up as "No Travel Solution Found". I've also tried other websites and I do not seem to be able to find timetables or availability for this route. Are the trains all sold out or is there a problem with this connection? Many thanks in advance for any help! John Woodard
Northville, MI

Posted by
227 posts

Have you tried trenitalia.it? I am planning on making this trip soon and was told to just buy the tickets when I get there, they leave about once every 2 ours, on the even hour. Hope this helps.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks very much Jesse and Carrie! I appreciate the information very much! Unchecking the Find the Best Price option was very helpful--to see the price, I had to select a date within the next 7 days. Very happy to know how to navigate the system a bit. Many thanks again! Best regards, John

Posted by
32329 posts

John, That's a very easy trip as there are departures about every two hours. One important point to mention - the trains on that route are Regionale, so BE SURE to validate your ticket prior to boarding the train on the day of travel. Failing to do that will result in hefty fines (starting at €50 PP), which will be collected on the spot! Try to sit on the left (facing towards the front), so that you'll have a view of the lake. Also, be ready to disembark promptly at Varenna, as the train only stops for about a minute. You'll go through a tunnel at about the one hour mark, and the stop is right after that. You should be able to walk to your hotel, as most places are downhill from the station. Happy travels!