Please sign in to post.

milan to interlaken

train rail work means i cant go direct from milan to interlaken. is a bus an acceptable form of transportation?

Posted by
32206 posts

Michael, When are planning to travel from Milan to Interlaken? The "train rail work" may refer to the slide repairs that are currently underway south of Zürich. I found a departure on the Deutsche Bahn website with one change in Spiez with a travel time of 3H:03M (using 11 June as the departure date). That train routes through Stresa and Domodossola, so it shouldn't be affected by the slide. I wouldn't want to travel by Bus, as that would be considerably longer. Happy travels!

Posted by
6898 posts

There is a disruption in rail service on the run from Arth-Goldau to Milan. Rail traffic is being re-routed and some buses have been employed. However, from what I can read on the Swiss rail website, this has nothing to do with getting from Milan to Interlaken. The route from Milan to Interlaken via Spiez seems to be open and OK. There is no such thing as a direct run from Milan to Interlaken. You will at least change trains at Spiez. On some runs, you could change trains at Brig and even Dommodosola depending on the run.

Posted by
16258 posts

There is track work on the Milan to Brig line, in the Simplon tunnel. This has been ongoing for some time and SBB has shown on the achedule which trains may affected and how they schedule around it. Right now I do not see the disruption advisories on the schedule, so I am thinking they have suspended the track work for a time to accommodate more traffic, since the other line is blocked by the landslide. The schedule between Milan and Brig looks pretty normal and Michael probably has nothing to be concerned about.

Posted by
16258 posts

It looks from the schedule for the next week or so like the morning trains go through, and then one of the afternoon trains has a bus connection between Domodossola and Iselle. The"traffic advisory" says that the through trains are very crowded and if you do not already have a ticket with seat reservation you should try a different train.

Posted by
71 posts

I have already bought a smart ticket for the Milan to Arth-Goldau train in July - do you think this will be fixed by then or should I try and take a different route?

Posted by
32750 posts

I don't think anybody knows yet. The SBB/CFF/FFS initially said 30 days. You don't say when in July - the incident was the 8th (or 7th?) of this month - do the math. But - it could be less, or it could be more. If the storms arriving tomorrow make it worse there could be additional landslides. I'd suggest checking closer to your date.

Posted by
6898 posts

You can go to the www.rail.ch website and ask your question via email. I've done this a few times and they are very good at responding within 2 days. They should be able to tell you exactly what you will need to do with your ticket.

Posted by
71 posts

Thanks guys :) Can't remember the date off the top of my head, but I think it is around July 17th or so....I will email them!

Posted by
16258 posts

Leslie, can you clarify what route you are taking and where you expect the track work to block the trains? The Swiss rail site does not indicate any difficulty in reaching Mürren on August 11 so I am trying to figure out what you mean.

Posted by
1 posts

Hello! We are booked in Murren Aug11 and apparently rail work starts Aug 10 but no one seems to know what sections will be affected and when. How is everyone else traveling who is going there about this time? I can't book online as they are not allowing this for this time period. If trains aren't running the day we want we will have to bus there. Any advice? How are the buses? Thanks!
Leslie

Posted by
32206 posts

@leslie, I've found that if a portion of the rail line is closed for maintenance, they will have Buses arranged to take passengers around the work site to a location where they can re-connect with the train. The Buses are usually large and very comfortable touring models. Cheers!

Posted by
16258 posts

that is good news, with typical Swiss precision.

Posted by
32750 posts

Updated - today the Swiss rail site has changed the expected date of completion after the rock slide - they now expect to reopen it at 2200 on 2nd July, next Monday night.

Posted by
71 posts

I have been watching their site also, and that is great news....I have been holding off with the next leg of my trip to make sure it reopens....I will be very relieved if all is running smoothly on July 3rd :)
ps. I did email them and they did respond within 24 hrs...very prompt and professional that all would be fixed by then :)