Please sign in to post.

May 2009 Train Tickets From Nice to Varenna

My wife and I are traveling from Nice to Milano and Milano to Varenna on Saturday May 16.
I have looked on the Deutsche Bahn web site and can see our choices. Please offer advice:
Should I buy the tickets on line in April 2009 or should I buy them at a Paris train station after we arrive (CDG) in Paris on April 29? I would prefer to not wait until the last minute at the train station in Nice. We are on a RS 14 day trip from Paris to Nice. After the tour we are heading to Lake Como, the Bernina Express, Davos and Zurich. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by
8700 posts

While you could buy tickets for the Nice-Ventimiglia leg in Paris, I don't think you can buy point-to-point tickets at a French station for travel solely within Italy. (If someone knows otherwise, please correct me.)

You could book in advance through RailEurope, but you'll pay more than if you wait and buy your tickets when you get to Europe. According to voyages-sncf.com, the fare for a Nice-Ventimiglia regional train is €6.40. According to trenitalia.com, the 2nd class fare for the Ventimiglia-Milano IC Plus train is €23.00 (seat reservation included) and the fare for a regional train from Milano to Varenna is €5.10. You would have time to buy your Ventimiglia-Milano tickets and your Milano-Varenna tickets between trains in Ventimiglia.