Please sign in to post.

Luggage

I intend to travel by bus and train,also internal airlines in Europe.I use a 28"long x20" wide x 10" deep suitcase and would like some information as to whether I can carry this suitcase on buses and trains.Unfortunately I can not use a smaller size as I have a physical disability which requires me to carry a large supply of medical equipment.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Posted by
32325 posts

jim, You'll have no problems taking luggage of that size on trains. If your disability allows, you should be able to store it on the racks above the seat. Should you have to store it on the racks at the end of the car, it's a good idea to keep an eye on it. I've seen several examples of the proficiency of thieves on trains in Europe. For travel by Bus, if it's not too crowded you may be able to take the luggage into the cabin. Otherwise it will be placed in the hold under the Bus. Again, a good idea to keep watch whenever the Bus stops. On budget airlines in Europe, you'll likely have to check the luggage. The airline websites will specify size limits for carry-on. If there's any critical medical equipment, it might be a good idea to take another small bag and take it as carry-on. Happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Ken, Many thanks for your advice regarding traveling on buses and trains in Europe with a suitcase.I am most relieved to know I can go ahead and travel around Europe without any last minute problems. Also,on your advice I will keep a close eye on my suitcase do you know if it is possible to lock it to the luggage racks ? Again thank you for your helpful advice.
...Jim

Posted by
2267 posts

I wouldn't worry about locking your luggage to the luggage rack. We don't treat our luggage cavalierly, but we've learned it's not necessary to hover. The trains do move along promptly, so it's important to get your luggage off in a timely manner. Other than that, it looks like your luggage size is very manageable.

Posted by
26 posts

Jim, i would reccomend that if flying low cost airlines around Europe that as Ken had suggested you do check each individual website as they do differ for carry on baggage. In my opinion i think easy Jet being the most generous with allowance.
Happy travels .