Please sign in to post.

Lufthansa Finally (maybe) Completing Deal with ITA

Assuming the regulatory agencies all say OK, Lufthansa has finalized a deal to purchase 41% of ITA, with an option for the other 59% at a later date. Article states it's currently unknown if ITA will leave SkyTeam for Star Alliance, but I can't see them staying....

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/lufthansa-reaches-minority-deal-for-ita-airways.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

Posted by
2452 posts

I’m trying to figure out why anyone would want to own part of this airline

Posted by
9885 posts

I’m trying to figure out why anyone would want to own part of this airline

"David" once was just a block of marble, but giving the right person the right tools, you get great art.

Perhaps Lufthansa thinks they are Michelangelo and ITA is a block of marble waiting to be transformed.

Posted by
1107 posts

Lufthansa will get to install their own CEO once/if all is said and done. Also, Germans are by far the most common tourist in Italy. They really want to expand south of the Alps. They've also seen Ryanair thrive there (a different type of airline, admittedly.) I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are a few why Lufthansa might believe they can succeed where Alitalia/ITA has failed. Time will, of course, tell.