Please sign in to post.

Lufthansa-2 multi-seg is cheaper than 1 multi-seg ($100/pp)

I'm planning the following trip on Lufthansa (with layover in Frankfurt both ways):
SEA-OPO 3/25-3/26
BCN-SEA 4/07
As a single multi-segment trip, it comes to $878
I decided to see how it would compare if I booked it as two separate multi-segment trips as follows:
SEA-FRA 3/25-3/26
FRA-SEA 4/07
And then another booking of:
FRA-OPO 3/26
BCN-FRA 4/07
Doing it in two separate bookings, and flying on the same flights, it comes to a combined total of $770 ($628+$142) per person.
I'd prefer to do it in one shot, but for two people, that's a savings of $200. It must be related to how they figure out the base fares for the trips. The Franfurt/Oporto/Barcelona portion is only $81/pp before taxes and fees. But the ticket price for it as one trip is $501/pp before taxes and fees.

Posted by
7895 posts

The difference may be between continuation of an International Flight, with it's greater fees and taxes, and a domestic flight for the FRA-OPO?BCN legs. Keep in mind though, if you book as separate reservations, any checked bags will not go through and you will need to re-checkin in FRA for your next flight. Also, I am not sure of the airlines obligation to board you in an instance like this. By that I mean, if your flight is delayed from SEA and you land in FRA late, missing your FRA-OPO flight, under a single reservation they are obligated to put you on the next available flight. Under separate reservations, you may just have lost your ticket.

Posted by
1167 posts

You may actually be able to check your bags through to the second flight - I have been able to do it. A bigger problem may be whether or not you can check in for the second leg without going to the ticket counter in FRA. That could mean going out through security and standing in line(s)to get checked in and back through security. Something to consider when deciding if you have enough time to make the connection.

Posted by
671 posts

I wouldn't risk it for $200 savings.

My brother and wife paid for two separate segments to fly to Paris last year, and when their flight was late to Frankfurt, they missed their flight to Paris and were out $600 to buy new tickets.

Posted by
359 posts

We carry our bags on. But I can see the concern regarding guaranteeing being on the second flight if the first is delayed.

Posted by
990 posts

An aside--Lufthansa in Seattle is particularly strict on baggage limits--carry on is limited to 8 kilos. So weigh carefully before you get to Seatac, or it's auf wiedersehen carry on bag.

Posted by
359 posts

That's good to know. I was expecting the 10kg that seems to be pretty common elsewhere. In that case, I could see us possibly checking one bag and then using my RS convertible carry-on as a bag to spread some of each of our clothes, "just in case" the rest somehow got delayed.

Posted by
990 posts

Seems like more and more international carriers are cutting back on the weight permitted for carry-ons.

Asian and Pacific carriers, in particular, are stingy on allowances and they weigh every single bag. Air New Zealand even restricts the 'personal item' to slim briefcases, no bulging laptop bags. And China Southern expects you to reduce your carry-on to a measly 5 kilos!! So...I've seen the future, and it's gonna involve a lot more hand washing of clothing...

Posted by
875 posts

Steve, we did a similar thing this spring on American and saved over $1,000! But as someone else mentioned, you take your chances that the planes will be reasonably on time. If there is plenty of time between flights, I might go for it. For me, the difference in cost was worth the chance. Obviously, it's a personal decision.
Good luck!