Please sign in to post.

London Tube

How difficult is traveling with luggage on the London tube system?

Posted by
4407 posts

That depends on what exactly you mean by 'luggage'. One person can manage fine with a carry-on-sized piece and another smaller bag; things get dicey over that. There are stairs, turnstiles to get through with all of your stuff ( always fun to get wedged in a turnstile), then you may have crowds to get through (depending on time of day and other factors) and you need to be able to watch over and handle all of your bags.

Posted by
521 posts

All of the Underground ticket barriers that I can think of are manned and have a special wide gate for people with buggies and wheelchairs or, I imagine, oversized luggage. It's possible that not all of them have this, but I'll try to find out. Some Tube stations have lifts, some have escalators and many have a combination of escalators and stairs. Use the journey planner on the Transport for London Website http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ - click on 'More Options' where you see the wheelchair symbol, and specify if you need step-free access from street to platform, or if you can use escalators but not steps, and so on. At peak hours it will be enough of a challenge to get yourself onto a very crowded Tube train, let alone yourself and large pieces of luggage. Outside of peak hours I see people travelling with very large suitcases, buggies, wheelchairs, and they seem to manage well enough. London also has an excellent bus system. It's slower to get around than the Tube, but may give you an alternative you can consider. On the TFL journey planner you can specify whether you want to use trains and buses, just buses, just trains, etc. Also don't forget the river boats.

Posted by
5326 posts

What journey are you considering and at what time of day?

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for the feedback. I think a London Cab is the answer!

Posted by
1010 posts

We have gone to London five times in five years. We travelled the tube daily. We would never recommend taking luggage on the tube. Almost all of the tubes are packed beyond capacity, at any given time. Plus there are so many stairs at the stations. It is hard to climb them, let alone have luggage also. You would be run over and trampled. We also take a pre-arranged shuttle to/from our hotel or to the Eurostar. We don't have to handle our own luggage.

Posted by
32198 posts

Walter, I also have the same questions that Marco asked. The level of difficulty will depend both on what type of luggage you're hauling (Steamer Trunks are not a good option), what time of day you're travelling and which route(s) you're using? Travel by Tube at rush hour on some routes would be out of the question with luggage. Travel by Taxi's is an excellent choice. The drivers are extremely well trained and can get you to your destination via the quickest (and presumably cheapest) route. Happy travels!