Please sign in to post.

London Transportation

My husband and I will be traveling to London in May. We'll arrive in Heathrow and spend first night in Marlow. The next two days we will sightsee in London taking the and tube and buses, also maybe go out to see Windsor Castle. On fourth day we will take the Chunnel to Paris. What is the most economical way to include all of our transportation needs while in London?

Posted by
4684 posts

If you're staying for four days it will probably be cheaper to get an Oyster card and charge it with pay as you go money rather than getting a pass. Note that the Oyster covers travel from Heathrow to central London by the Piccadilly Line underground but not the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains to London Paddington, which will be more convenient for you as trains to Marlow leave from there. If you're staying in Marlow, though, that is not covered by the Oyster card range. You need to buy individual train tickets and if you're travelling from Marlow to London and back every day that might get pricey. Windsor is also not covered by the Oyster area.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the info. We're only staying in Marlow 1 ni then we'll be staying in London for 2 ni. I'm assuming the Oyster pass is easy to obtain once we get to London. So it seems that we won't need to purchase any of these tickets before we leave other then the Chunnel for Eurostar. Is that correct?

Posted by
4684 posts

Yes, that's correct. None of the other places you mention are far enough out to need pre-booking.

Posted by
4085 posts

Buy your Eurostar ticket on-line as soon as possible for the best price. www.seat61.com offers ticket-buying strategies. One small tip: "Chunnel" is an outdated nickname that can make Europeans squirm.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks so much for the replies. And thanks Southam for the heads-up on the termonology. I'll definitely remember that!!!

Posted by
567 posts

Buy the eurostar ticket ASAP. I bought mine a few weeks ago for a trip in June and have noticed the prices have already gone up.