Please sign in to post.

London to Rome: Rail or Air?

I'm planning a trip for next year (when hopefully all volcanic ash will be a thought of the past) to London and Rome. I plan to spend about a week in each place, but I'm not sure of the best way to get there. (I've only traveled in France, before.) Ryanair seems to be the cheap way to go, but are there any pros for taking rail?

Posted by
23282 posts

Probably not. It is a long ways and would involved a couple train changes. For that distance air would be better.

Posted by
19099 posts

First, what were you doing during World Geography classes? There are a world of things to see between London and Rome - ever hear of France or Switzerland, even northern Italy?

Plan a trip to the British Isles, then come back later and do Italy.

Second, look at airlines other than RyanAir. Their fares are cheap, but the don't fly out of London and they don't fly to Rome. Instead they use remote, old military bases that don't have good transportation access. And if the airport in Rome is fogged in, they might drop you in Bosnia and tell you to find your own way to Italy.

Posted by
1819 posts

If the OP wants to visit two widely separated areas in Europe, that is her choice. I don't see any reason why her destination choices must be adjacent. Europe has lots of budget airlines besides Ryanair, many are far less restrictive. You might google the airport's website for a list of which carriers fly there.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm thinking of taking EasyJet, just because they fly out of Gatwick and into FCO.

Lee, I've already traveled France, but I still appreciate the country. My traveling companions have never been to Europe and Rome is on the top of their list, and London on the top of mine, if you care to know. But thanks for the insult of my geography skills just the same.

Posted by
5530 posts

Megan, Also consider BA for flights from London to Rome. With Ryanair, make sure that you take into account all their additional costs. You may find that BA is not much more expensive. I believe that Ryanair flies out of Stansted and into Ciampino. BA has flights out of both Gatwick and Heathrow to FCO. From CIA, you need to take a bus into Rome whereas from FCO there is a fast rail connection.

I think the pro for taking the train was illustrated this week; hopefully you won't encounter that. In a normal scenario, I would fly.

By the way, I frequently start my trip in London and fly to somewhere further afield. I've combined London with a destination in Italy 3 times in the last 5 years. A week in Rome and a week in London is a great choice ... two of the world's great cities. Sure there are other things to visit closer to London, but your plan sounds like a great trip to me.

Posted by
32212 posts

Megan,

IMHO, your suggestion to use EasyJet from LGW to FCO is perfect! That's the method I'd choose.

Given your reasons for visiting those particular cities, I think a week in each place is perfect! That will allow you the opportunity to take a few day trips as well.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
873 posts

I'm sorry, but I can't help think this every time I see one of these threads -- it's kind of annoying to see how quickly people's itineraries get dismissed around here for not being in adjacent countries or not spending "enough" time in a given place. A week in London and Rome each with a budget flight in-between sound just fine. Some people aren't interested in visiting France or Switzerland. I personally don't have any immediate interest in seeing France or Italy, so I would rather go elsewhere even if those countries are next to a place I'm visiting. And for some, who knows when the next trip will be? If the opportunity to go to Rome is here now, go now!

OP -- take easyJet London to Rome and have fun!

Posted by
159 posts

Fly, fly, fly! I booked a flight from London to Rome on Ryanair for this August. The total came to $263 for three tickets including all taxes and pre-booked baggage. I thought that was an amazing deal and I changed my whole itinerary around to accommodate which ended up saving me time and money.

Posted by
286 posts

I've done the both the Ryanair and easyJet London to Rome hop before. Connections are really easy whichever airport you use.

Ah, and don't forget while Europe has a great rail system... strikes are popular as well and not something you want to mess with if you have to take at least two trains to your destination.

Posted by
316 posts

I believe your question was regarding flying or trains, not your itinerary. Your reasons for visiting two non-adjacent countries are your own and you have enough time to really see two wonderful cities.Fly between the two and have a wonderful time.

Posted by
12172 posts

For that leg, I would go air. It should be both cheaper and faster. There are low cost alternatives to Ryanair.

I haven't bought a ticket personally off these sights (I tend to do short legs only) but Momondo and Mobissimo are travel search engines that are supposed to include cheap flights within Europe.

Good luck.

Posted by
463 posts

for cost comparison purposes--i'm paying the same amount of money for a one way trip on the eurostar between london and paris as i am for a flight (inclusive of all taxes and fees) from barcelona to london on easyJet.

Posted by
1 posts

I am leaving in two weeks for London for a few days, then flying to Rome via BA. Does anyone know if I will have to clear customs when I arrive in Rome?

Posted by
873 posts

If you are a non-EU citizen coming from a non-Schengen country (UK is not part of Schengen, and Italy is), yes, you have to go through customs and passport check.